Thursday, June 12, 2014

Welcome to today's Guest Designer, Susi !

Today we are welcoming Susi of Froebelsternchen as our Guest Designer. Susi was chosen by the DT as the winner of the 'Words, words, words' challenge. Let's move on to hear from Susi and see her beautiful project.


Hi, I'm Susi (aka froebelsternchen) living in the North of Austria. Very proud to be invited as a guest designer here at Frilly and Funkie. I started my journey in Mixed Media Wonderland in 2003 with rubber stamping. Since this time I've become addicted to Mixed Media Art. My main focus - Art Journaling - gives me the freedom and all kinds of possibilities, playing and breaking the rules, in fact making my own. I love the complexity and depth of the backgrounds you can achieve in a multi-layered piece of art. I enjoy visiting other people's blogs, thus diving into foreign worlds of imagination and creativity. You can find me at; http://froebelsternchen.blogspot.co.at/

I don't think I have a particular style, I am quite eclectic and I love using different layers and textures. I enjoy living in the countryside after leaving Vienna three years ago. Where I live, here in the North of Austria, nature is really pure, this is the main character of the "Waldviertel" - so a botanical theme tends to show up in my work quite a lot. I love birds - especially owls, trees, flowers and all animals. I don't really plan my projects beforehand, I just tend to go with how I am feeling or thinking at the time. I decided to make a Mixed Media Canvas out of an empty cereal box for the 'For All Our Fathers' theme.


Since I have a very young "Papa" (as I call my Dad) he turned 70 this spring and I am crazy 50 right now, I always see him more as an older brother or friend, so I decided to create a very funky project for him.

I started by collaging the cereal box with old book pages , DIY painted papers, parts of doilies and plaster bandages - painted over all with white Gesso and acrylics. The Dad from 1962 is a black & white out-print on my laser-printer (if you use an out-print of an inject printer you may seal before coloring with a coat of matte medium or Modge Podge, otherwise the image will smear).


I over-painted the image with a coat of yellow acrylic and also some blue and green washes of acrylic paint and white gesso and a hint of red for his cheeks. It was then cut out and glued to my canvas. Outlined with a thin permanent black pigment - liner.


After stamping some accents with acrylics I glued different sentiments and motifs from Stamper's Anonymous stamped on white tissue on the canvas. Sealed with two coats of fixative my canvas is ready for Papa!

I'm sure you'll all agree that Susi's project is fabulous! If you would like to join us as a Guest Designer then all you need to do to be in with a chance is join in with the current challenge 'For all our Fathers'.

15 comments:

  1. I love this incredibly creative idea for a vintage/retro piece for your dad Susi! I bet he will be thrilled to bits to receive this canvas. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous - such a clever idea and a brilliant present for your young Dad!!! Chris:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous "out of the box" project with great retro style! Sorry for the pun but I love the fact it's made out of a cereal box! Love all the layers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing project Susi. It was lovely to read all the process details...TFS
    Great to see you here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful layers and colors. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great project! I love that it started out as a cereal box! Just proves that anything can become art!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A really beautiful project, love that you used a cereal box!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful memento for your Dad, what a great project.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic project from Susi... from the shape of the cereal box, which is so cool, to the great paintwork and stamping, this is full of inspiration.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a stunning project Susi! It's amazing to look at the finished project and realize that it started out as a cereal box!! Way to upcycle!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great creation! love colors nd layers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Susie, your creation is absolutely inspired!! I love your use of colors and layers, and how you have altered a common cereal box into an extraordinary work of art!!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete