Saturday, February 28, 2015

Step x Step - Recycled canvas

Hello ! It's Sue here and today I'm sharing a recycled project. When I was thinking what I could do for today's Step x Step I spotted this canvas among the pile of things I've gathered to alter and decided to give it a new lease of life !


This is what the canvas looked like to start with, I pulled off some of the original larger pieces on canvas. Then I die cut some flourishes and glued them to the canvas.


I then spread some Wendy Vecchi Embossing Paste over the canvas and used the Ranger Texture Tools to create patterns in the paste. When it was dry I painted over the whole thing with Gesso.


I then glued some Tim Holtz Tissue Wrap over parts of the canvas and then did some stencilling using the Wendy Vecchi Polka Dotty stencil and acrylic paint.


I then used acrylic paint and applied it with a brush and then blended it with a baby wipe. Then I sprayed it with Iced Spruce, Gathered Twigs and Walnut Stain Spray Distress Stains and held the canvas upright to let the ink run. I then stamped the numbers onto some tissue paper and glued it to the canvas. I then used the Wendy Vecchi Vintage Mesh stamp with Watering Can Archival ink.


I then started to gather the embellishments and started with some paper flowers and used Conrflower Blue Archival ink with Cut 'n' Dry foam before I dipped them in clear UTEE in my melt pot.


The colour of the flowers turned green in the UTEE, which I quite liked ! I've painted the metal embellishments with acylic paint and rubbed a metallic wax over them. The strip of fabric has been spritzed with Spray Distress Stains, Antique Linen and Iced Spruce and then I've stamped it using black Archival ink using a stamp from the Tim Holtz Stuff to Say stamp set.


I then stuck some Ranger Foil to some black card and then I used alcohol inks and pounced them over the metal foil. I die cut some leaves using the Tim Holtz Garden Greens die, which you'll see in a later photo. They were a little to shiny so I dabbed them with acrylic paint.



The oval frame is by Prima and I've painted it with acrylic paint and rubbed metallic wax over the surface. The image of the little girl is from the Tim Holtz Lost and Found paper stack and I've then covered it with Glossy Accents .The tape measure pieces are stamped usng a stamp from the Tim Holtz Artful Tools set and then cut into strips and a buckle attached to one end.


I then assembled all the pieces and when I was eventually happy with the arrangement I glued it all down. I rubbed some more metallic wax over the texture of the canvas and then dabbed a darker blue acrylic paint around the edge to frame everything.

I hope you've enjoyed today's step x step and maybe you have an item that needs some love !

Sue
x

14 comments:

  1. Just amazing textures and combination of techniques, fabulous transformation....LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. fabulous project Sue, love the colour tones :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Sue, I have an entire box filled with rejects that could use a makeover like this!! What an inspirational project! Love all the wonderful metal trinkets and the metallic leaves! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This transformation is amazing. You have created wonderful texture, a super colour palette and great altered items - love how the flowers and leaves turned out. I guess instead of just pulling expensive embellishments off some of my projects that are gathering dust so I can use them again, you have inspired me to try to give the whole project a new lease on life.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, beautiful project. I love all the texture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely canvas Sue, love the leaves which pop against the backdrop. Lovely transformation. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the layers, the texture & all the details you added.
    great ART!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic transformation Sue - I really love the melt pot flowers and the beautiful metallic leaves. Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are like a Bonsai Master! It was amazing watching you create.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous recycling. The textures look great and the flowers are awsome.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW, what a transformation!!! Gorgeous end result!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful makeover! I loved seeing each layer added...so rich in color and detail.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely ADORE the upscaling of this canvas. The colours, the texture, the whole design sing to me. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the canvas and the step by step on the techniques and products you used. My favourite is the paper flower with ink and utee. I just placed my 1st order looking up the indigoblu flitter kit and your store showed up on the search and of course I had to shop, lol. I can not wait to play with the kit and other products and look forward to more inspiration here.

    ReplyDelete