Thursday, August 30, 2018

Guest Designer - Lucy Foxworth

It is time for us to introduce our Guest Designer for the 'Haberdashery' challenge. Please say hello and give a warm welcome to Lucy Foxworth of Paper Glitter Glue who was the Top Pick from the 'Planes, Trains and Automobiles' challenge.


This photo is from the first day of a bike trip I took in 2016 where I rode 1800 miles from Washington state at the border with Canada to Lake Isabella, California. It was one of the hardest, but most fun things I've ever done in my life. You want to know one of the things I missed the most when I was on the road? Crafting. No craft supplies on my bike. My day job is in a Pediatric ER which is challenging so crafting provides a wonderful outlet. I've been seriously making paper crafts for the past 3 years, but I have been making things my whole life.


The challenge this time is Haberdashery. So first I had to look it up to make sure I understood the concept. I had it mixed up with milliner (hat making) initially.

A haberdasher is one who sells small goods like buttons, thread, needles, zippers - notions, we call them in the US. But also in the US, the term evolved to mean one who sells men’s clothing usually high quality men’s clothing. And a haberdashery is where these products are sold. Well, you know I love to make little cardboard houses so that's right what my mind focused on. Make a little haberdashery shop - Hilda's Haberdashery It's a two-sided Halloween-themed house with the outside more like a traditional Putz house and the back side is the actual shop where witch's hats and capes are sold.


Incorporated sewing elements are the needle and thread sign, scissors stamped on the background, scissors on the sign in the front as well as dress forms holding the capes for sale. I used lots of Tim Holtz products because I love his stuff. The slate surface was stenciled using my favorite Tim Holtz Stampers Anonymous mini-stencil #28. I used Ranger Grit paste to make the stone and layers of Distress paints to color the stone. Village Rooftop dies were used for the shingles. The Village Belltower windows were glued over the Village Bungalow shutters to make the windows.


I made the wallpaper for the inside of the house with a new Stampers Anonymous stamp called Ornate and Lace and then over-stamped it with the Inventor 3 Scissors. My capes and hats covered up most of that stamping though. The needle and thread sign as well as the dress forms are made from the Tim Holtz Mini Sewing Room Mover and Shaper dies. I LOVE the new spider web stamps from Tim and Stampers Anonymous called Tangled Webs. The lines are so fine and delicate and so perfect for a creepy detail on any Halloween project.

Full details about making this project are on my blog - Paper Glitter Glue.

* * *

What a fabulous take on the challenge! After you have checked out all the details of Lucy's little house come on back and share your 'Haberdashery' project. The challenge can be found HERE and runs until 11:55 pm EST on September 11th.

Come on back on Saturday for a new Saturday Showcase and then to get more inspiration for the Haberdashery challenge, the gals on the Funkie side of the Design Team will be here next Wednesday with lots of eye candy for you.

6 comments:

  1. WOW! So much intricate detail in this Lucy as there always is with your houses. LOVE the Halloween yard, the attention to detail with all the stonework, signs and roofing, and then of course that fabulous array of clothing, perfect for the smartest of witches! So glad you got to join us for this challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH my goodness! What witch could resist shopping here? This is so clever and charming, and as Jenny said, the details are amazing. My husband is a roofing contractor, and he appreciates the tiled roof! So adorable! Thanks so much for being our guest designer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucy, as always, you have me squealing with delight over every single detail! I always love your stonework and roof tops and this time I think I'm even more impressed with your base. Perhaps it's those spider webs! Of course the thread hanging sign just made me giggle--you never miss a thing! Inside, I bet any witch would find just what she needs. As for the meaning of habberdashery, my mind went instantly to the men's clothier, so this little dress shop is just PERFECT for the theme! Love every square inch! Hugs! PS Thank you so much for all your hard work and for being our Guest Designer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what an incredibly cool twist to our Habberdashery theme! So imaginative and fun. Your houses are always amazing and I really enjoyed reading all the details on your blog. Fantastic job! Also a shout-out to a fellow cyclist. Congrats on that 1800 mile trip. That must have been amazing. I've done a century but never a cross country trip like that. Thanks so much for being our guest designer for this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, thank you for your comments. I loved that bike trip. If you can swing the time - an extended cycling trip is so much fun. Even a week or two is worth it.

      Delete
  5. I can't think of any word to describe how I love this that hasn't already been said! Such creativity. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete