Saturday, August 11, 2018

Saturday Showcase: Graphic 45 Halloween in Wonderland Mixed Media Cards with Distress Oxides, Tim Holtz 3-D Texture Fades and Seth Apter Baked Textures

Hello, Friends! It's time for another edition of Saturday Showcase. This is a wonderful opportunity for the Frilly and Funkie Team to shine a spotlight on techniques and products that can help you take your art adventures to the next level. This week, we are looking ahead to Halloween! What fun!
Most people don't connect Graphic 45 papers with mixed media techniques. But today I am going to show you how to create a really spook-tacular mixed media background using the new Distress Oxide colors from Tim Holtz along with his fabulous new 3-D Texture Fades. Distress Resist Spray and Seth Apter Baked Textures add to the mixed media mayhem. These are the mixed media backgrounds we will be creating in today's SnapGuide Tutorial.


Graphic 45's Halloween in Wonderland is their all time top selling collection. It's traditionally very hard to find. But I have good news for you! Even as I write this post, the Deluxe Collector's Edition is at the printers! You can pre-order this wonderful collection right now at The Funkie Junkie Boutique.



These top fold cards measure 5 1/4" x 7 1/4". The mixed media backgrounds take this whimsical G45 collection to a whole new place. I can't remember the last time I had so much fun playing with paper!


The background for each card started with a 4 1/2" x 6 1/2" panel of Distress Mixed Media Heavy Stock. It holds up so well to all the abuse that mixed media requires. I'm not sure another base would turn out so well.


3-D Texture Fades are amazing! I used the Mechanical folder on this card. All the details can be found in the SnapGuide tutorial at the bottom of this post.


Here's a peek at the card interior. A small slash pocket holds an ATC sized accordion folio.



The bottom pocket holds a 4 1/4" x 6 1/4" accordion fold photo folio. The colors in this collection are a fabulous match for the new Distress Oxides! I used Mustard Seed, Crushed Olive, Ripe Persimmon, Ground Espresso, and Dusty Concord in my mixed media backgrounds.


You wouldn't naturally think of using the Botanical 3-D Texture Fade on a Halloween card, but it really came out great! I used Seth Apter Vintage Beeswax and Patina Oxide Baked Textures to add some funk. Seth's Ancient Amber Baked Texture gave both of the Weathered Clock Die Cuts a ghostly hue as well.


The interior of this card has a fun flap feature on the top half.


A hidden pocket holds another ATC sized accordion folio.


And I created another accordion fold folio for the large pocket on the bottom.

To learn how I created the mixed media backgrounds, just follow the simple steps in this SnapGuide Tutorial.


I hope this post has your creative wheels turning and your fingers itching to get inky! Thanks so much for joining me!

Happy crafting,
kathy

Product Links to the Funkie Junkie Boutique




12 comments:

  1. Oh! My! Word! Kathy Wright Clement you created magic right there!!! LOVE those backgrounds! SO magical and absolutely PERFECT for coordinating with that new Halloween in Wonderland collection! Thank you for sharing how to create them xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love everything that Kathy creates! Her work is very recognizable. Thanks for sharing with us . ��

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW Kathy!!! I do not particularly like Halloween, but I look at these your cards and I would like to immediately get to work!
    They are amazing!Thank you for making me so inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy, I am really loving this mixed media side of your creativity! What a passion you have for it, too, which clearly shows in your work and in your descriptions! I love both of your backgrounds and the added stencil work really adds so much extra visual texture! Absolutely amazing creations in the end! True, those colors in the G45 papers and the new oxides are a match made in Heaven. By the way, who WOULDN'T think of using the Botanical TF in a Halloween creation? Certainly NOT me! Just wait and see! Tee Hee! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh! This is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much, Jenny! I truly love this collection paired with the new Distress Oxides. Thanks for all the wonderful samples you've shared with that Botanical Texture Fade. You made me buy it! LOL Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Judy! Thank you so much for the very kind words. I love to create, and I love to share with my friends! You made my day! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much, Stefania! I'm such a huge fan of your work that your comment made me grin from ear to ear. The wonderful thing about this collection is that it does not have to be for Halloween. It has a great Steampunk vibe to it that works all year long. Happy crafting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much, Sara! You are such a genius when it comes to working with mixed media that your kind words really went right to my heart! Can't wait to see what you make with the Botanical Texture Fade! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kathy those backgrounds are gorgeous! I love how the shimmered and shined with the glorious colors! Beautiful use of the backgrounds with the fun Graphic 45 Halloween papers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much, Suzz! Seth Apter's Baked Textures and Distress Micro Glaze are wonderful for adding shimmer and shine!

    ReplyDelete