Friday, June 2, 2023

Hitting the Road With Janna's Travel Journal

Welcome to a new tutorial for TFJB Inspiration Ave blog. Today we are creating to the theme of Get Ready to Travel. For this weeks project I have decided to create a travel journal featuring the Tim Holtz Road Trip Colorize Sizzix die. 

For video tutorial click here.

Used: Sizzix Road Trip Colorize, Idea-ology Corners, Distress Paint Uncharted Mariner, Mermaid  Lagoon, Barn Door, Faded Jeans, Lumberjack Plaid, Salty Ocean, Hickory Smoke, Lost Shadow, Tarnished Brass, Picket Fence, and Prize Ribbon, Idea-ology Corners, Worn Wallpaper, Distress Watercolor Cardstock.


To start today’s project, we are going to be cutting four pieces of chip board. The first pieces are going to be 8 1/2“ x 5 1/2“. Next we will be cutting the spine at 8 1/2 x 1”. For the layered frame piece, we will be cutting it 4 1/2“ x 7 1/2“.


Next, I’m going to be painting all the pieces blue with Uncharted Mariner Distress Paint.


Next, we are going to be working on the eroded metallic distressed,paint technique that Tim has demonstrated during live demos. However, I’m leaving off the metallic part of this technique and substituting a second solid color, Distress Paint Prize Ribbon as the layer of paint that will be lifted.


Next, I am putting some of the Prize Ribbon off to the side and pulling out one of the large collage brushes. We are going to very quickly paint on a layer of Prize Ribbon then with the distress water sprayer I’m going to add some drip drops all across the piece. It is very important to work quickly so that the paint doesn’t dry too fast. Once the drip drops of water are applied, quickly dry parts of the cover. The pieces that have water droplets on it will not dry and this is necessary for the next part where we are going to lift paint.


With most of the cover dry, and the drip drop still in place, take a clean paper towel and quickly press it to the cover piece. This will lift off the wet paint and reveal the Uncharted Mariner paint beneath the layer of Prize Ribbon.


Below, we can see the results of the lifted paint. This paint lift technique leaves behind an amazing, distressed look. Next we are going to cover the entire piece with Walnut Stain distress ink.


After covering the peice with a distress ink,vqdd more drip drops of water.


This time without trying, take a clean paper towel and dab off the water droplets. This will give us another layer of distress. I’ve been repeated this process for the two cover pieces of the book.


Next, I am adding some Tarnished Brass Distress Paint with a dry paint brush to the edges of the cover, and the cut out piece.


For the next step, we are going to be attaching the spine to the rest of the book. Here I have cut approximately 11 inches of book binder tape. This step could be substituted with duct tape, but I like using book binder's tape because it is fabric-like and flexible. Here I am lining up the spine of the book colour side up directly onto the tape.


Next, we are going to be attaching the covers to the spine. I placed the cover colour side down and leave approximately an eighth of an inch between the spine and the cover on the tape. Then I firmly press the cover onto the tape. This is then repeated on the opposite side. There will be tape left over from the spine. I take this leftover bit and fold it up and onto the interior of the book cover. I do this for the top and the bottom of the book. 


Since we are using white book binder's tape, I like to alter the colour of the tape with alcohol markers. For the spine I’m going to be colouring it black.


Next, we are going to start embellishing the book cover. Using some of the Tim Holtz Idea-ology Corners, we are able to add a bit of vintage flare to this journal. I add a small dash of glue on the inside of each of these corners before squishing each corner down my fingers, and then smooshing them in place with a pair of pliers.


For our next step, we are going to be creating the focal point for the journal using the cut out window assistant. So I trace an oval onto some Distress Watercolour cardstock.


On the inside of the oval, I decided to paint a rust picture of Niagara Falls. To do this, outline the basic shapes with pencil and then colour in the space using distress paints Stormy Sky, Faded Jeans, Mermaid Lagoon,Tumbled Glass, and Picket Fence. For the two little bit of land, I use Distress Watercolor Pencil Rustic Wilderness.


Below are the finished results of my interpretation of Niagara Falls.


Next, with a bit of glue, I added the Distress Watercolour Cardstock into the frame.


After I glued discover piece onto the front cover of the journal to create a layered effect.


Now onto a few finishing touches. I decided that I wanted to also add a red vintage car to the front of the journal and I’m going to be doing that with the Sizzix die set Road Trip.


I die cut the car out of Distress Watercolour Cardstock, and then alternate it with Distress Paint to create layers.


I also decided I wanted to add a sentiment to the journal as well. Using the Idea-ology Label Stickers I was able to stack a sentiment on top of some black card stock and turn into a mini banner.


For the inside of the book, I added a layer of navy blue card stock, and then over the top added a second layer of Idea-ology Worn Wallpaper. 


Below are the finished results after I added the text block into the finished journal cover.



Thank you so much for joining me here today for TFJB Inspiration Ave. Until next time, happy crafting!

Janna~ 💕🎨💕

I can also be found on :
Instagram: dunhamtreasuresofthesea_jannak

YouTube: The Crafty Corner with Janna


Supplies used:

Ranger Tim Holtz Distress Paints:


1 comment:

  1. What an awesome tutorial. I love the effect you achieved with the paints.

    ReplyDelete