Friday, April 11, 2014

Friday Focus - Texture Fades and Dies

Trace here with today's Friday Focus here at Frilly and Funkie and wow, have I been having fun! The products in the spotlight this Friday are Sizzix Dies Texture Fades embossing folders. I have decided to play with some of the fabulous new dies of 2014. I wanted to show how you can use these in such different ways and there are lots I ran out of time to use! It's a great time to stock up as these products will have an extra 15% discount applied to them for this week only at The Funkie Junkie Boutique.

Here are the main dies I focused on (although I used lots more!)
          
Bigz XL Die 'Jumbo Tattered Florals', Bigz Die 'Garden Greens', and Decorative Strip Die 'Spring Greenery'.
I made several pieces to show off various parts of these dies in different styles and using different products, using other dies too and also some Texture Fades embossing folders.
Tag #1
For this tag, I die cut the flower from card for most of the layers and also a layer from crinoline. The great thing about this die is it will cut all manner of materials. I coloured them using Tumbled Glass Distress Stain and Broken China Distress Ink. I added one of the buttons from the Boutique to the centre of the flower having coloured it with Distress Paint. The Garden Greens die was used to cut the foliage which for this piece I left plain.
The base tag was embossed using one of Tim's newly released Texture Fades embossing folders. I embossed the top half of the tag, then turned it around and lined it up and embossed the bottom half. As this folder has a repeat pattern it is fairly easy to align. I then dipped it into Distress Stains to get a dappled colour and edged with Distress Ink. The tag was finished with some butterfly die cuts from the new 'Butterfly Frenzy' strip die, some Prima swirls and some seam binding and Idea-ology.


Tag #2
For this tag I wanted to create something a little different. I used  the same dies as above but used a different sized flower and lots more colour. I die cut this flower from patterned paper and added a numbered brad for the centre.
To add some contrast and another die I used the new Frameworks Honeycomb die (which I love) to add some interest in the corners, filling only some of the spaces with patterned paper pieces.
We all know how cool Texture Fades embossing folders are for creating texture but what else can they be used for? Well here I used one as a stamp to add stamped detail. I inked the raised areas of the Texture Fades folder with distress ink...
and then used as a stamp...
to create this detail.
I completed the tag with some splattered Black Soot Distress Paint, plenty of rub ons and some dyed seam binding.

Tag #3
Here I used the largest flower; what a  huge bloom and so gorgeous! I die cut it from ivory card, spritzed with lots of water, scrunched it up and left it to dry. When dry, I unfurled and shaped it, adding a rusty bell to the centre.
For the base of the tag I again used a Texture Fades embossing folder, again a little differently. I applied some Wendy Vecchi embossing paste to the corners of the large tag and then pressed the Texture Fades folder into the paste (remember to clean it off thoroughly afterwards).
Once dry I inked it with Distress ink. This gives a great textured feel to the piece and another use for those folders!

Tag #4
For this tag the focal point is a flower cut from four layers of crinoline, dyed with Distress Stain.
I have added some foliage from the strip die, coloured with Distress Ink and spritzed with colour using new Distress Spritzer and a Distress Marker. I also added some stamping, again using a Texture Fades folder.
I completed the tag using some more butterfly die cuts and a Pediment die...
and finally some seam binding at the top.

Tag #5
For this tag I used the same dies but die cut from Clearly for Art (in white) which I covered with some Frosted Film and coloured with Distress Markers.
I also used the off cuts from the die cut foliage to create a stencil, which I used with white embossing paste.
This is how it looked inked up and stamped over.
I completed the tag with lace, Chit Chat Stickers and seam binding left white.

Finally, Tag #6
Here I made the tag into a hanging panel, embossing it and inking with Distress Ink, adding it to a base covered with book paper , Tissue Tape and Distress Stains. For the flower I covered some card in Ranger foil, die cut it, embossed it using a Texture Fades folder, and coloured it with Distress Paint (which was wiped off in places).
I added some foliage cut with the Spring Greenery strip die, and covered it in embossing ink and a mix of Distress embossing powders.
I also added some Trellis Frameworks die cuts to the side and popped on a Word Band to complete it.

I hope this have given you some food for thought and some inspiration for ways you can use your dies and Texture Fades. I have lots more ideas too as the list seems endless. They are so versatile such a great addition to your stash whatever your style.  And remember, these products will have an extra 15% discount applied to them for this week only at The Funkie Junkie Boutique.

keep those fingers inky!
trace  x



14 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh... AMAZING --- such a real fireworks of the arts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you have been busy Trace, all of these look just fantastic, so many cool ideas as well with all these wonderful dies, a brilliant collection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. stunning work Trace - you have been very busy and i adore that burst of colour in the middle there - the garden greens is on my list of must haves - and I love the strip die too! Hugs rachel xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many ideas Trace!!! Love the way you've demonstrated the versatility of these dies and given us so much inspiration, whatever our style. Absolutely beautiful, all six. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Six fantastic tags and so much more inspiration Trace! Food for thought indeed. Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trace,
    WOW!!! Every tag I looked at I thought, "this is my favorite." Then I would look at the next one and think that was my favorite, and it kept going on and on!!! I love them all. You are amazingly gifted! Thank you so much for starting my day out with so much inspiration!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Trace, what a yummy line-up of gorgeous eye candy! Each one is sensational. It's hard to pick a favorite. You did a fantastic job of showing us so many different ways to use the dies and the texture fades - whoever thought of stamping with one - brilliant and I love the how you used the texture paste with one too. Great job!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, such amazing stuff! Each one is so special! So much inspiration, thank you xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing bunch of tags. Beautifully done Trace!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow. amazing. beautiful tags. can't wait to try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for showing us how to use embossing folders differently -I am going to try this out -I had wondered if I could get more mileage out of my folders.
    The tags are beautiful!
    XxRuth

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic techniques and ideas, and of course fabulous creations too... thanks so much, Trace!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete