Saturday, April 5, 2014

Saturday Step x Step - Collage Card

Welcome to another Saturday Step X Step here at Frilly and Funkie.  It's Cec here and this week I am going to show you how I put the collage card together that I made last month for my Mother-in-Law's 92nd birthday.


There aren't a pile of techniques involved in this one so it was quite easy to create and here is how I did it - from the bottom up.


The card is an 8" square so after I made a card blank that would hold the weight of all the bits and pieces I was going to add, I created the background.  I started with a piece of grey card stock and stenciled a honeycomb pattern on three sides using some Wild Honey Distress Ink.  Then I stenciled some dots using Black Soot Distress Ink.  Finally I distressed the edges with my scissors and inked the edges with more Black Soot.


Next I chose a bunch of papers from my scraps that I thought would go with some Pion paper I was going to use.  I cut them in various lengths and widths and after I inked the edges with Black Soot Distress Ink, I laid them out in a random pattern.

Next I added a strip of Venise Lace to the horizontal piece of black paper and added a piece of narrow black satin ribbon across the top of the lace. The sentiment banner was added next and I made that on my computer.


Using a Spellbinders Square Fleur de Lis die, I cut my Pion paper and then cut it in half saving the other half for another card. I inked the edges with Black Soot Distress Ink and then added it on top of the left vertical strip of patterned paper. I added a tiny piece of black lace beside it at the bottom. The lace came from my Mother-in-Law's sewing basket.


Next I created an embossed panel using the grey card stock, a Tim Holtz texture fade and some more Black Soot Distress Ink.  The panel was centred over the die cut and then I added a strip of crochet lace trim.


I cut a smaller piece of grey card stock from the Fleur de Lis die, inked the edges with more Black Soot Distress Ink and then added this wonderful vintage image of a British actress named Lilly Elsie.  The image added to the top of the embossed panel.


Next I started working on some of the additional embellishments, including the flower at the top left.  I started with a white flower from Michaels and stamped some script on it with Jet Black Archival Ink.  Next came a yellow Prima flower and then a floral button with a black burlap string bow.


The butterfly came next and was a bronze colour but I painted it with some black craft paint.


Once the paint was dry, I clear embossed it to make it shine and added it below the white lace using Glue and Seal to make sure it didn't come off.

Next I added some black pearl flourishes, a clock button, a gold star from my stash and the wonderful art deco two-toned button that also came from my Mother-in-Law's sewing basket (or that of her late Sister - sorry I can't remember which).

Finally I gathered some black crochet lace into a circle, added it to a lace medallion and then topped it off with a resin flower.

I hope you will be inspired to go through your craft room and pulls out some bits and pieces to make a collage card yourself.

The following products used in the creation of this collage card are available at The Funkie Junkie Boutique so if you want some new things for your card, check out the shop for all sorts of goodies.

5 comments:

  1. Great to see how you put this fabulous collage card together Cec. I love layers and this is a fantastic demonstration of how to use them effectively. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so gorgeous! You've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your card is really beautiful, I love the layering of the strips of paper, they make a wonderful background and your embellishments are perfect. Love this. Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Superb design Cec. Absolutely wonderful card. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous, Cec!! Thank you so much for sharing your creative process!!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete