Saturday, November 22, 2014

Step x Step - Birthday Card

Hello it's Sue here and today I'm sharing a Birthday Card that I've made for one of my family. I've also had some fun playing with the new Spray Distress Stains! Don't forget, these are now in stock at The Funkie Junkie Boutique.


I started with a piece of white card and gave it a coat of Clear Gesso. Then I used the Tim Holtz Distress Damask stamp set and clear embossed over the whole piece. Now I started to have some fun! I sprayed Antique Linen Distress Stains over the card and using a piece of kitchen roll (paper) wiped the ink away from the embossing.


I wanted to add some warmth to the colours so next up is Wild Honey (love this colour!)


Then I moved on to Tea Dye, the colours really do blend together beautifully!


The final colour is Walnut Stain and I've just spritzed it over the corners. What I discovered was the the stains didn't dry very quickly on the gesso so when I wiped the ink away from the embossing it blended the inks together and by wiping in one direction it gave a fabulous distress effect.


I then started to gather together the elements for the card and spritzed some crochet lace with Antique Linen, not saturating it with colour as I wanted it to look aged.


I used another stamp from the Distress Damask set and did some second generation stamping using Potting Soil Archival ink on a piece of white card. This is used as the background to the main image, which you'll see in a later photo.


I die cut 2 postage stamps and stamped them using an Artistic Outpost stamp and blended Vintage Photo over them.


I altered 3 of the lovely pearl flowers that Linda sells in the Boutique with some Potting Soil Archival ink.


One last dabble with the Spray Distress Stains to make the base layer, these sprays are definitely going to be played with a lot I can see!


The main image is from the Artistic Outpost 'Think and Wonder' set as is the sentiment. I've added two pieces of book paper that I've blended Vintage Photo and Walnut Stain Distress Ink over.


The rose was made with Kraft Glassine paper using the Jumbo Tattered Flower die.


I added some little beads from my stash to finish off. This was great fun to make and I hope you've enjoyed today's Step x Step.

Sue
x

13 comments:

  1. ABSOLUTELY LOVE this Sue!!! Great tip about the gesso, I love the second generation stamping and your colouring of the pearl embellies. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful Sue, I am so glad you showed the steps or we would have missed that fabulous background. Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy, I just added five items to my shopping cart! This is gorgeous Sue! Love the look you achieved with the stains! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love that damask stamp and what you have done with it here is sensational - love the vintage hues that you created with the spray stains too. Fantastic card - thanks for sharing a great StepxStep with us!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the colors, so warm and vintage. The stamp set is so pretty! Thanks for sharing this lovely card!~kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your card- so beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is gorgeous Sue!!! Thanks for the wonderful tutorial and great tips…I love not having to reinvent the wheel! ((hugs)), Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sue, this is beautiful, elegant, vintage, perfection!! I love the techniques you've used to create your background and there could be no better focal point than the lovely stamped image. I don't have the newest colors of distress ink yet, but I love the ones I have and can't wait to get the new releases!! You've showcased some gorgeous techniques here. Thank you so much for sharing and inspiring!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely STUNNING, Sue. I love the end result just as much as your step-by-step process. Thanks a bunch!
    SuZeQ

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sue, the Kraft glassine flower is beautiful (as is everything else on this card). Did you do anything such as coloring, etc. prior to cutting it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dodie, I didn't colour the Kraft Glassine with anything.

      Delete