Thursday, November 20, 2014

Welcome to today's Guest Designer, Jennie!

Today we welcome Jennie of Live the Dream as our Guest Designer. Jennie was chosen by the DT as the winner of the 'A Grateful Welcome' challenge. So, let's move on to hear from Jennie!


I am absolutely thrilled to be back here Guest Designing for this challenge. Frilly and Funkie is one of my favourite places to visit and I am always very appreciative of the "how to" posts and inspirational projects made by you all.

I live on the remote UK island of Shetland (closer to Norway than the Scottish Mainland). My husband and I have lived here for 35 years and feel very privileged to be able to enjoy the wonderful way of life here and the amazing natural environment around us. Life is very busy with family both here and on the Scottish Mainland and of course enjoying our crafting journey (my husband is a woodturner!). I have crafted all my life but am really enjoying my current experiments with paper and mixed media - I am also a little obsessed with making flowers!


For this wonderful challenge I have made a Tissue Box Cover which will be a present for a favourite friend this Christmas.

I found a great tutorial for making the base box on Splitcoaststampers: http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/resources/tutorials/tissueboxcover/

(And was delighted to learn that US tissue boxes are the same size as UK ones!) I made the box firstly in brown coloured cardstock and then covered it with Maja Design papers. Then it was down to decorating with my usual favourite bits and pieces: vintage lace and some handmade shabby roses using the Tattered Florals Die (there is a tutorial on my blog here: http://jennie-livethedream.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/paper-rose-tutorial.html). I used the smaller pieces of Maja Design papers to make these little flowers using Donna Salazar Bitty Blossoms die (one of my favourite dies).


I used a die cut piece of Spring Greenery painted with Picket Fence Distress Paint and added a heart crackled with Tattered Rose Distress Crackle Paint.


This was quite a large box to decorate but the large piece of Spring Greenery helped!

I'm sure you'll agree the Jennie's box is beautiful and has provided lots more inspiration for the current challenge 'A Gift from the Heart'. If you would like to be in with a chance to join us as Guest Designer too all you need to do is join in! 

9 comments:

  1. What a beautiful way to store those essential tissues Jennie! Love the crackle heart and your gorgeous flowers. Thank you so much for sharing this with us at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning project Jennie, with all your signature style beautiful additions! A box like this will almost make it a pleasure to use tissues lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sensational project to use those gorgeous Maja papers with! I love how soft and delicate this is and of course, your handmade flowers are second to none! Thank you so much for agreeing to be our guest designer and providing our visitors such lovely eye candy!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your flowers are always stunning Jennie and so are those Maja Design papers you have used. One lucky person will be able to see your gorgeous work every day when they receive this beauty! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a fabulous tissue box, Jennie! I'm a long time fan of your art. I'm always amazed by your attention to detail and the perfection of your handmade blooms. Everything you make is inspiring!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennie what a lovely gift for your friend. Love the way you decorated it. Very elegant and pretty flowers.
    Thanks for sharing. Hugs from Monica... Spain

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful makeover for the tissue box!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful tissue box Jennie. Love the way you have decorated it, so pretty. I made one for my mum a couple of years ago which she loves having on display. I am sure your friend will love having this equally as much on display.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a stunning tissue box Jennie! Your work is always inspiring and always beautiful!

    ReplyDelete