Friday, August 11, 2023

Janna's By the Numbers

This week for the Funkie Junkie Inspiration Ave we are creating to the theme of By the Numbers. This was so fun going through my stash to find all sorts of different elements that have numbers on them. What I came up with was an embossing folder, some washy tape, and a stencil, as well as some Idea-ology ephemera.

For step by step video tutorial click here.



For supplies I used Collage Medium, Distress Ink Walnut Stain, Translucent Grit Paste, Distress Spray Stain Salt Water Taffy, Vintage Photo, Mustard Seed and Distress Oxide Spray Stain Abandon Coral, distress glazes squeezed lemonade, mermaid lagoon, seedless preserves, and peacock feathers, sizzix 3-D embossing folder Numbered, Tonic Mini Trimmer and stencil THS058.


To start this project, we are beginning with a foundation of a Mixed Media Tag and some Distress Spray Stains Mustard Seed, Saltwater Taffy, Vintage Photo, and Distress Oxide Spray Stain Abandoned Coral.


To start, we will first add a layer of water with the does the distress sprayer to the mixed media tag. Then I sprayed the distress spray stain and oxide directly onto the tag and let the water move the inks.


After adding the distress spray stain, and then drive the tag with the Ranger heat tool. I also added a few drops of water for a more distressed look.


Now let’s start adding in some of our numbers. To start, I used some transparent great paste to add texture through the number stencil THS05. Here I am using one of the Ranger Tim Holtz pallet knives. I have found that the transparent Grit Paste spreads with the consistency of smooth peanut butter or frosting.


Next to add a splash of color, I added in some distress places. These are some of the new glasses from the latest Tim Holtz Ranger release: seedless preserves, mermaid lagoon, peacock feathers, and squeezed lemonade. Here I had a little pictures of distress glaze all over the still wet texture paste.


Then I waited 30 minutes for the text to pace to dry with the distress glaze on top. Drying time will vary depending on which part of the country you’re in and how high or low the humidity levels are. For me in lower Quebec drying time usually takes 20 to 30 minutes after the texture paste was dry and then he bought the distress glaze to get this really cool glass like affect down below. This is one of the many techniques that I learned from Tim during Saturday demo time.


Now, for our next numbered element. Here I pulled in the embossing folder, numbered and embossed on some mixed media heavy stock.


Then I altered the background with some spray stains chipped sapphire, and distress mica spray stain iron gate.


First I sprayed with water then I added the distress colours. I love how, starting with a wet surface can cause the ink to move around and unexpected ways. I find that having the water apply beforehand, gives a greater and more fluid flow and less of a splatter effect.


Next I dried off the background with the Ranger heat tool. For a little bit of added grunge I brushed on some distress walnut stain ink to the background.


Now it is time to start layering up our card and adding some embellishments to it. For the colourful layer of distress sprays, I added some foam square on the back and stuck it to the numbered background. Then I pulled in some different pieces of Idea-ology ephemera from the set palette.


For the main focal point, I added a paper dolls that was altered with some of the new distress glaze, squeezed lemonade. To apply the glaze I use the Ranger Tim, Holtz, and embossing brush pen. I love using the brush pen because it is easy to highlight all of the details on these vintage style paper dolls.


For finishing touches, I added some numbered washi tape around the edge of the card, and I added a sentiment from the Tim Holtz Idea-ology label stickers set.



Thank you so much for joining me here today for TFJB Inspiration Ave. Until next time, happy crafting!

Janna~ 💕🎨💕

I can also be found on :
Instagram: dunhamtreasuresofthesea_jannak

YouTube: The Crafty Corner with Janna


No comments:

Post a Comment