Saturday, September 13, 2014

Saturday Step by Step

Hello everyone. I'm happy to be with you today with a Frilly and Funkie Saturday StepxStep. I am in love with Pion Design's paper collections and just recently acquired the collection called 'A Day in May' in the 12x12" format. The collection is gorgeous and certainly not limited to spring, so my itchy hands just had to do something with it. I've had some plain jane bottles sitting on a shelf and it's ridiculous to keep dusting them, so I was spurred to action...


What a really fun project this was! Let me walk you through it step by step and you may be lured into thinking of those olive oil bottles, bath salt bottles and any piece of glass container, with a crafter's eye!...


I began with a craft paint that's suitable for wood, glass, metal or fabric. Using an off-white color, I painted the edges of the larger bottle (because I was running really low!!) and the entire smaller bottle, including the round glass topper. I needed 2 coats to get adequate coverage, though I think 3 would have been best...


Beginning with the flat sides of the larger bottle, I cut panels to fit each side, while leaving space at the edges to allow the paint color to show and give the bottle a more 'finished' appearance. Ranger's Multi Matte Medium was used to adhere all of the paper pieces. Using a foam brush, a quick coat was painted onto the bottle and then a coat onto the back of the paper panel. You will have a minute to move the paper piece around a bit to center it properly. If you bend the paper panel so that you can adhere the center of the panel first, then you can push any bubbles out towards the edges as you lay the rest of the panel down. It was also very useful to use a rubber brayer to remove bubbles and even out any lumps of multi matte medium. Wipe any medium off the brayer, with a wet wipe, to prevent it from ruining the rubber. Don't worry if you get some Multi Matte Medium onto the face of the paper. It won't matter. Just wipe any large lumps off...


The side panels of paper seemed a bit naked (like the one laying down), so I distressed the edges with a bit of distress ink. You can see the subtle effect on the side panel that has been applied...


After all of the sides have dried thoroughly, apply 2 coats of multi matte medium over the paper and paint. They don't need to be heavy coats, just reasonably even. In between these steps, I placed my foam brush inside a freezer weight, zip lock bag to keep it from drying out. The thicker plastic will work better than a sandwich bag or plastic wrap. If you choose to wash the foam brush, be certain to let it dry thoroughly before continuing. Any moisture in the brush will dilute the medium and possibly buckle the paper...


What fun to find all the bits and pieces to play dress up... with a bottle. In addition to using strips of half pearls to edge the paper panels, I used lace around the neck, larger pearls around the rim and picket fence distress stain to soften the color of the cork! Untreated cork has quite strong color. The Distress Stain just soaked in over a few minutes and provided a great solution! Paper flowers (coated with multi matte medium for durability) and a cluster of beads using pearls and some peridot beads were added to a necklace of chain, drape around the base of the neck. If you don't do beading, perhaps a broach?! I made three multi-looped bows. One was glued to the top of the bead cluster...


The other two bows were adhered to the top of the cork, sandwiched between two paper flowers. Each flower faces out and the loops of the bows created a fan effect...


Some pearl swirls were cut from Prima's 'Say It With Pearls' adhesive sheets, rearranged and adhered to the side panels...


Don't hesitate to cut apart and rearrange these adhesive sheets. It's amazing how you can make them fit nearly any project when you let yourself think outside the box!...


You can see that pearls (from the Say It With Pearls sheet) were also cut and added to the shoulders of the bottle...


The back panel is a simple and really lovely corner from a sheet of paper… by the way, all the Pion Papers are double sided to give you LOADS of design choices...


The second and smaller bottle coordinates with the first, but is different enough to keep it interesting. This one has some die cut flourishes on it's shoulders, framed images and metal embellishments...


The paper panels were added in the same way as the first bottle, die cuts were added in the exact same way as the paper panels and then the same two coats of medium covered it all. Pearls were added to outline the panels and then I began to frame some lovely images. Using two resin frames from Ingvild Bolme, I first needed to change the chalk white coloring. I applied a coat of Antique Linen Distress Paint. I love being able to just dab it on with the foam applicator! I think I love it so much that I mention that at every opportunity! When it was dry, I dabbed frayed burlap distress ink over the entire frame, using the new mini ink blending tool. Just love this little size for getting into tiny spaces...


After applying the distress ink all over the frame, take a barely damp cloth and wipe the ink off of the raised surfaces, leaving it in the recesses...


Place a line of Glossy Accents on the back of the frame and place it over the image you choose. I tilted this one to fit the frame. When the glossy accents has dried (an hour here in Arizona, longer where it's more humid), trim the paper from the outside of the frame, using a craft knife. If you forget and trim it on your non-stick craft mat, you can mend the cut with some tape on the back side (I know, it didn't have a front or back, until I cut it!). See below!...


The trim was cut to wrap around the neck. The flower that was attached to the left end of this length of trim, was removed to allow the flower on the right end to 'mesh' with the scallop, when it's wrapped around. This makes the join flawless. I choose a trim with a short repeat, with this in mind...


The brass embellishments were treated to some of the Antique Linen Distress Paint. By using a light pressure, it touched just the high spots...


Some pearl cabochons that I found in the Funkie Junkie Boutique were attached with a generous amount of Glossy Accents...


I must 'fess up', the image on the back of the bottle was from Pion's 'Vintage Garden' collection. Their collections often work very well together...


Both the framed images and metal embellishments were adhered with glossy accents. A thick rubber band was used to hold them in place while the adhesive dried. I changed my mind and decided to color the lace trim around the neck...


Some paper flowers top the stopper. They remind me of a flowered hat! Some charms finished off the neck. Oh the possibilities! I don't think these will be the last bottle I dress up and I'm thinking they would make great gifts as is, or filled…hmmmmm! I've added a list of the products used from The Funkie Junkie Boutique below so you can play dress up with me too.

Thanks for joining me today.
Sending you blessings and hugs,



23 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunning alterations, love the finished effect with those gorgeous papers!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Astrid~ I've begun a new career as a bottle collector!

      Delete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous, thank you Rebecca for the step by step and the wonderful inspiration x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol. I hope you have some fun recycling some found treasures!

      Delete
  3. Oh Rebecca, I've been sitting here reading your tutorial and soaking in the beauty of these bottles, and now feel ready to transform whatever would have been heading for the recycling bin! I love the little details, like the way you've cut the lace for the neck of one of the bottles and the alteration of the resin frame. What a wonderful way to start the weekend! Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jenny~ Very little in the way of interestingly shaped glass is going to escape! Hope you're having a lovely weekend.

      Delete
  4. Holy cow! As usual, I am blown away...can't stop staring at all the gorgeousness!! Thanks for the step by step! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pamellia~ so kind of you. Hope you have fun with it some time!

      Delete
  5. Holy moly, just picked my jaw up off the floor. These bottles are exquisite! Absolutely drooling over the brilliant way you have transformed them. What a beautiful way to use the Pion Design paper. Fabulous stepXstep, Rebecca. I know our visitors will be thrilled with it!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. There's very little that can't be made beautiful with Pion's papers! I've had thoughts of a paper dress ;)

      Delete
  6. Rebecca, your bottles are so elegant and the detail with your pearls, ribbons and flowers give them a period feel that would suit any stately homes dressing table. Beautiful. Great step by step too.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Juli, I think I'm going to make 'collections' of them. One collection per Pion Paper Collection!

      Delete
  7. Wow Rebecca your bottles are stunning! I am a great fan of the Pion Design papers and I really love what you have done with them. You make me want to find an old bottle and give it a go!! Thanks for a great step by step. Jennie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! This is absolutely beautiful! I love all those pearls and sweet papers! Want to come decorate some of my bottles? Lovely work you've done here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rebecca these are beautifully created and are a real showcase stopper... love the two of them... do you want my address now or later??? Love these... so very off the walls and pretty... going to have to try one of these ... thanks for the inspiration... Love, Light and Peace...Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG these are both just gorgeous! I am so inspired by this project (thanks for all the details) and now will be looking at my empty bottles with new eyes! Fabulous work ... thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what a gorgeous altered bottle you made, Rebecca!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are stunners Rebecca. The paper line you have used is just perfect and the embellishments so well chosen. Thanks for a wonderful tutorial too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMGoodness, these are over the top gorgeous. Thanks for all the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an amazing transformation, Rebecca!! Your bottles are so romantic and elegant. I love that paper line too, and what you have created with it takes it to an entire new level. I can't wait to try out your technique. I think these would make amazing Christmas gifts!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete