Thursday, April 23, 2015

Welcome to today's Guest Designer, Nicola!

Today we are welcoming back Nicola (Paper Profusion) as our Guest Designer. Nicola was chosen by the DT as the winner of the 'Put a Ribbon on It' challenge. Let's move on to hear from Nicola!


Hi, I’m Nicola a.k.a. ‘Paper Profusion’, living in Dublin, Ireland. I'm thrilled to be Guest Designing for the über fabulous Frilly and Funkie challenge once again. I’ve loved handicrafts for as long as I can remember, probably inspired by my Mum who excelled at every single crafting technique out there. From very young I was an avid knitter and always enjoyed learning crafts especially ones involving paper. I’m now medically retired however during my ‘career / good health years’ my main creative hobby was photography especially travel/wildlife related. During a time of serious illness, I became hooked on paper crafting as it gave me an outlet to a home based hobby that I could dabble in, at my own pace. I’m particularly drawn to the vintage / shabby chic genres usually adding lots of embellishments and ribbon.


I was so pleased when Sue told me 'Stencil Mania!' was the theme to work with as I love using stencils to add texture and dimension. Only problem was choosing which ones to include on my card today that shows a little Springtime scene.

For the window 'pane' I applied texture paste through a Wendy Vecchi 'vintage quilt' stencil onto heat resistant acetate. Using the technique outlined by Tim Holtz in his March tag I magically turned the paste silver for a faux 'leaded window' effect. I then used Tim's gothic stencil for the pattern on the window blind by just blending distress ink through the stencil. I've also applied paste through Tim's latticework stencil and a Memory box 'tessatina' stencil to add extra background interest. Once dry, I lightly dabbed a variety of distress inks over the raised paste to add colour and then went and covered most of it up with window and fence diecuts!

Thank-you so much to all at Frilly & Funkie for allowing me feature today as Guest Designer. It’s always a privilege to be associated with this wonderful challenge and one of my very favourite design teams.

I'm sure you'll agree that Nicola's project is beautiful and has most definitely provided lots more inspiration for the current challenge 'Stencil Mania'.

If you would like to join us as Guest Designer too you'll have to join in with our challenge!


17 comments:

  1. I am truly IN AWE of this Nicola!!! The leading on the window - genius, the crackled covering of the little bird, those altered flowers in the window box, the stencilled brickwork and all that fussy cutting make this one of my all time favourites!!! Pinned and loved. Thank you so much for sharing this at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great project which has true stencil mania. I love the leading on the window too. This is such a pretty scene, well done Nicola! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's wonderful to have you here with us today Nicola and what a spectacular project you put together! I am truly in love with this one, a work of art from top to bottom! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This card is spectacular! It could be titled "Spring". I love it, especially your window pane.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty. Love all the beautiful soft texture with the sprinkling of butterflies and gorgeous birds. Your use of stencils is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your card is very beautiful - and so awesome with all the stencils you used! Your butterflies, birds and fence look wonderful as well. Thanks for sharing. P.S. First time visiting your blog - and your blog background is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful little scene Nicola, love all your layers, pretty butterflies and birds. So pretty.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Outstandingly beautiful! Blew me away creative! Wow. Amazing. Love this. Can you see I am impressed? Pinned and shared all over the place! THANK YOU

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is fabulous to see the supremely talented Nicola here with this stunning creation. I love the faux leading on the windows especially, very clever indeed and the butterflies are a delight. Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations Nicola and your springtime card is just stunning! I love the cute window scene - beautifully made! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much everyone for all your lovely compliments, I really appreciate them! Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  12. So very beautiful and so many different techniques you've used. Love the finished product. Edna

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful Nicola, just shouts Spring! Congratulations on your guest designer post, wonderful project.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seriously sensational spring scene, Nicola! Love the stenciled stonework background and the leading on the window is brilliant. It's always lovely to have you back as o ur guest designer. Congratulations on being our Funkie Favorite!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Nicola, this is just stunning beyonds words - I love what you have done!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sweet, so precious, so dainty, so beautiful Nicola. It must be a bluebird on the fence - the bluebird of happiness as the old song goes - because looking at this just makes me feel happy and content. Wonderful creation. j.

    ReplyDelete