Monday, December 5, 2022

Holiday Gift Card Set

Hello friends! I'm posting this holiday gift card set using the new Festive Collage Stamp set for The Funkie Junkie Boutique today. Inspiration for this set is from @KathStewart one of Tim Holtz's Makers.

I have a video showing the process in case you prefer to watch instead. The link is here:

Prepare the Card Bases and Components

I always start with the ink smooshing to get the card base and the card envelope box a wash of color. I started with Distress Heavyweight cardstock and used Old Paper and Pumice Stone Distress inks. I smooshed the pads randomly on my craft mat, spritzed with water and ran my fingers through the ink to prevent stamped shapes from the pads. I dipped and dried the card bases and the envelope box base until I was happy with the color.

Next step was stamping and coloring the images. The Festive Collage set has two large and two smaller images. I started working on the larger images on two of the inked bases, reserving the other two for the tags.

I started with the holly stamp and stamped it on the colored card base with Hickory Smoke and Barn Door Archival Inks. I selectively colored the image and the red stamps using the corner of the smaller Archival Ink pads. 

Distress Ink Pencils were used to color the image. I used Rustic Wilderness and Barn Door Watercolor Pencils to color the image, followed by a wash with a watercolor brush to soften. I love the muted color effect.

I stamped and colored the other card base using the Poinsettia stamp set in the same manner and set aside.

On to the two smaller images that work really well as tags.

I selectively inked the stamp with Peeled Paint and Vintage Photo Archival Inks and stamped on Heavyweight Cardstock.  After drying, I ink smooshed the background with the same Distress inks. I used an old Sizzix Tag Die to cut the tags out and inked the edges with Hickory Smoke Ink.

I added musical notes using the stamp from The Department Store set with Hickory Smoke Distress Ink. I did not use a block or my stamping platform as I wanted the notes to surround the floral images. I covered the ink bases of the unstamped panels with notes as well.

The Sentiment is from the new Department Store Stamp. I wanted to use Lumberjack Plaid to stamp the sentiment yet wanted it to be more vibrant. I placed the tag in the corner of my stamping platform and stamped the sentiment in Distress Ink first. Once dry, I stamped over it with embossing ink and coated with Clear Embossing Powder. See how vibrant the sentiment is!

I stamped the sentiment using the same process on the two larger image card base.

Finish the Components

I machine sewed red thread around all of the edges on the card bases and tags. I inked the edges with Hickory Smoke Distress Ink.

I attached the larger image card bases to a Cougar Natural A2 card base and set aside.

The tags offered a little challenge. When I set the evergreen tag on the ink smooshed and stamped base, the tag bot lost in the background.

Stampers Anonymous Gingham Layering Stencil to the rescue. I masked on the long edges and placed the stencil slightly to the left on the tag and inked with Lumberjack Plaid Distress Ink. This provided the perfect base for the tags.

Assemble the Tag Cards

I attached the card panels inked and stamped with the musical notes on a Cougar Natural A2 card base. I used red striped twine to add the ties and ribbons to the tags. I attached the larger tag on the right side of the base vertically and added the sentiment tag to the lower part vertically.

The last step was to add blingy interest by flicking Tart Cranberry Mica xxxx onto the completed card fronts. I laid the cards one by one in my messy box and used the tube to filck ink on the cards. I set aside to dry and worked on the envelope box.

The envelope box started with an 8.5 x 8.5 inch Heavyweight Cardstock that was inked with the card bases. I used my envelope score board to create the envelope. If you look on the scoreboard you will find dimensions for scoring appropriate to hold four cards plus envelopes. (I used 3.75 on the board to start scoring).

Once you have the score lines, you will see where the front base is. I stamped the musical notes plus the Holly image in Archival Hickory Smoke and Barn Door Inks. I colored the image using the distress Watercolor Pencils.

Once you have the front image complete, you need to add an extra scoreline to create the box. I scored 1/4 in towards the flap on all four sides by lining the original score line up in my Scoreboard.

I assembled the box by laying the cards plus 4 envelopes inside the envelope and used red tape to create the box. Using the cards, help maintain the box shape.

Don't Forget the Envelopes

I used the December 24 stamp from the Vintage Holiday set to stamp in the left corner of the Natural Envelopes.

Thanks so much for stopping by today! I'd love to have you follow/subscribe on my social media sites Instagram, Facebook, Blogger and You Tube.  Be well. Be creative!

I also did a set using the Botanic Collage set. That video is here:

Be sure to check out the Funkie Junkie Boutique for all the new Tim Holtz and other designer's products.


  1. These are fabulous Teri. That's a wonderful stamp set and I love the colors you used and the beautiful vintage feel you achieved.

  2. My fave of these has the tags… such a beautiful idea!!

  3. These turned out so beautiful! So soft with the pop or red! Really enjoyed watching your process video!