Friday, December 30, 2022

Year in Review - Highlight Your Favorite Product From 2022 - Janna

This week at the Funkie Junkie inspiration Avenue blog we are looking back at all of the fantastic products that have been released this year. For me there are several stand outs in the world of Tim Holtz. The products that stood out the most to me this year were media grip, distressed foundry wax, and the new distress watercolour pencils. There are so many other products that I absolutely love but these are the three that I don’t think I could live without and I have frequently use them on so many projects this year.

Todag I will be creating two cards featuring my two favourite Tim Holtz products of the year.  projects today we are going to be creating a card with a Distress watercolour pencils and featuring distress Foundry wax. For project video click here

Used: media grip, foundry wax sterling and statue, distress pencils barn door, rustic wilderness, twisted citron, shaded lilac. salty ocean, tattered rose, vintage photo, speckled egg, and rusty hinge, Idea-ology label tape, paper dolls, ephemera, stamp set festive collage CMS459, ledger script CMS241, and Holiday CMS353, 3D embossing folder tree rings, Idea-ology neutral kraft stock, collage medium.

Start this project off I am first laying down a section of media grip. Whenever I want my project to stay in place I put down some media grip onto the media mat to make sure that pieces I’m colouring or stamping don’t wander off. 

For the first owner of this card I am going to be colouring some Idea-Ology paper dolls.


For colouring these paper dolls I am using my favourite Tim Hortons medium to colour of these distress watercolour pencils. I absolutely love the distressed watercolour pencils they have lots of pigment and they are easy to  fill in small details.  I also love that these can be easily sharpened too. For sharpening Tim recommended using the Prismacolor pencil sharpener.


Another great tip that I learned from Tim is to save the pencil shavings and then place them into an alcohol ink palette. Then spritz the shavings with a little bit of water and they will form into solid cakes that are then useable as watercolours.


For colouring these paper dolls I used the fine detailer Ranger water brush. For colors I used tattered rose, vintage photo, shaded lilac, prize ribbon, mustard seed, and speckled egg. Below are the finished results from colouring with Distress watercolour pencils.


Next we’re going to be using another one of my favourite techniques with a Distress watercolour pencils. We are going to be watercolour Stamping and the Stamp said that we will be using is CMS459 festive collage.

To start this technique I placed the stamp of my choice on an acrylic block. Then I spritz a small pool of water onto the media grip mat. Next I dipped the point of the distress watercolour pencil into the pool of water.
Now that the point of the pencil is sweat the colour will easily transfer onto the red rubber stamp. I absolutely love that you can layer the Distress watercolour Pencils on the Stamp. For colours on the stamp I used prize ribbon Rusty hinge, rustic wilderness, twisted citron, beautiful, and barn door.

Once I finish colouring stamp I then spritted it with a little water. I am spreading the stamp because I want to get a watercolour effect when I stamp this down onto some distress watercolour paper.


I was unable to get a second and a third generation stamping onto the same piece of paper. In between each stamping I spritz the stamp with a little water.


Surprisingly the images came through very clear. Since I want to get the effect of watercolour in the background I then spritts my entire background with a fine mist of water.


To give the background a more vintage you look Ivan added some vintage photo Distress Inc. with a dumb foam and blended over our background. To give the background a more vintage look I added some vintage photo Distress ink with some dome foam and blended over our background. When I was done blending I then spritzed over the top of the background. Then I quickly dried the water droplets with the Ranger heat tool.

With her background complete it’s now time to build the card. Here I am borrowing a sentiment from a previous project this winter wishes sent to it is going to be perfect for our holly background.


Before adding the sentiment I decided to frame the card using some Idea-Ology label sticker tape.


Around the sentiment I added a piece of Holly from Christmas botanicals and the paper doll that we had coloured earlier in this demo. Below is the first of our two cards made with my favourite things designed by Tim Holtz in 2022.


For the second card I am going to be featuring the Sizzix 3-D embossing folder tree thanks and ranger distress foundry wax.


After running a piece of idea Ology craft stock through the vagabond three times in the embossing folder I then applied a dry brush layer of foundry wax to the background. The foundry wax they used here was statue.

Below you can see the results of the brushed on Foundry wax.


After heating the foundry wax with an embossing gun I then smudged on some Distress crayon black soot to highlight the texture of this background.


What are background complete it is now time to work on the focal point. I die cut an oh hole out of Distress watercolour cardstock and then stamped on it with ledger script CMS using distress watercolor pencils. I used vintage photo on the stamp.


After stamping onto the oval I then spritched the image to get a more watery look.


Next I added a layer of Distress vintage photo ink to darken up the background a bit. 


Fourth finishing touches on the oval I then added a frame of distress foundry wax sterling.


For the sentiment and the main focal point I used a stamp set CMS353 holiday greetings. Again I am using my favourite technique with a Distress watercolour Crayons and colour directly onto the stamp. The colours are used included black soot, barn door,  rustic wilderness, salvage patina, mustard seed, and prize ribbon.


Below is the end result for our stand image. 


Then I added the oval to the card with a few foam squares on the back of it. For finishing touches I also added four Idea-ology silver droplets in each corner.


Below are both cards that I created using my top three favourite Tim Holtz products of 2022.


Thank you so much for joining me here today for the Funkie Junkie Inspiration Ave challenge. Until next time, happy crafting!

Janna~ 💕🎨💕

I can also be found on:
Instagram: @treasuresofthesea_jannak

Products Used

Distress Ink Pads:


No comments:

Post a Comment