Friday, November 15, 2013

Friday Focus - Alcohol Inks

Hello and welcome to another Friday Focus column.  Linda here this week with a focus on alcohol inks.  With so many new craft products being introduced all the time, it's easy to forget old favorites in our stash.  So this week, I decided to dust off my alcohol inks and see what I could come up with to share.  It turned out to be a fall tag with lots of rich harvest colors and, of course, my favorite tattered leaves.  

Starting with glossy card stock, I cut a piece the same size as the jumbo tags I so love to use and clear embossed the large flourish from Fabulous Flourishes.  
 Next, I applied Terracotta alcohol ink to a felt pad on the Alcohol Ink Applicator and stamped it on the tag.
And then adding each color separately, I added Butterscotch, Meadow and Ginger.
Next I applied Gold Mixative to a clean felt pad on the applicator and added a good squeeze of Alcohol Blending Solution to it.  I went over the entire tag with the gold mixative and blending solution, deliberately leaving some areas where the colors showed through.  Once the ink was dry, I took a piece of paper towel and some blending solution and lightly brushed over the embossing to allow it to show through. 
And there you have it - a beautiful background for your design.  I love the richness of the alcohol ink colors and adding the gold mixative creates such an elegant feel to it.  

Since I was going for a fall theme, I cut several leaves from acrylic packaging with the Tattered Leaves die and applied various colors of alcohol ink to them, then heated the acrylic with my heat tool and shaped it while it was still warm.  

I applied gold mixative to a sheet of kraft glassine by simply adding another squirt of blending Solution to the pad I used earlier.  When dry, the small flourish from Fabulous Flourishes were stamped with Potting Soil archival and cut it with the Mini Tattered Florals Movers & Shapers dies.  
I needed a large gem for the center of my flower but didn't have any of a coordinating color so I altered one with Ginger Alcohol ink.  The Simple Sayings set was used to stamp the sentiment and I added a small chit chat sticker too.  

That's it for this week's Friday Focus.  Don't forget, you can double click any photo to see all the details up close and personal.  

I hope you will get your alcohol inks out and find some time to play with them this week.  Don't forget, our Friday Focus is always an additional 15% off running Friday through Thursday.  If you need more alcohol inks or other AI supplies, it's a great time to shop at 15% off.  Just click the Friday Focus tab to see what is on sale.  

Thanks so much for stopping by.  I hope you have a wonderful fall weekend!

Blessings & hugs,
Linda

These products used to make this tag can be purchased at The Funkie Junkie Boutique where Ranger and Tim Holtz products are alway 20% below MSRP.



15 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tag Linda! Love the idea of using the gold mixative blend over the colours and those flourishes peeping through. Such a great design too. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, a gorgeous tag. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful work linda - thanks for the inspiration xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Tag Linda. Wow what a transformation when you added the gold mixative. A good excuse for me to now use my new alcohol inks. Karen.x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a beautiful tag, Linda. I love the alcohol inks on the leaves. And, that background is lovely. I have to get out my alcohol inks and give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your tag is just gorgeous Linda...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is stunning Linda!!!! I love it. The background is just gorgeous. Love adding the gold mixative after you put color down on the background. Gives a little more control on coverage of the gold. And I love your embellishments. Great idea using the kraft glassine. Love that look with the burlap and gold. Thanks for the beautiful inspiration this week :) -- Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is breathtakingly lovely, Linda - wow, wow and then again wow! The technique in your hands turns into something magical!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a gorgeous tag, Linda. Love tthe effect of the alcohol inks on both the tag and your leaves.... super! Wonderful rich autumnal colours, great embellishments are set off perfectly with the use of the natural hessian and string. Thank you so much for the step-by-step. You've given me some ideas I need to play with. have a great weekend. Cheers, Di

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice love the rich outcome of color....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I am in love with this tag, it is absolutely stunning!!! The end result is so different from the steps in between, which makes it really interesting to folow the whole process, totally fab!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So stunning and you make it seem so dang easy!!!!

    diane @ aug's blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. Terrific tag Linda and the wonderful techniques are getting my mojo working!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a brilliant tag Linda, I love it. Thanks for a timely reminder to use my alcohol inks, you are so right, with new things to play with old friends can be overlooked! X

    ReplyDelete