Friday, November 1, 2013

Friday Focus - Vintaj Patinas and Metals

Hello and welcome to Friday Focus where we spotlight a product and offer an additional 15% off from today through next Thursday.  Linda here with a project I made using Vintaj patina paints and metals.  I really love the patina paints and use them frequently.  We also have a few of the metals and embossing folders in stock at the boutique and we rarely include them in the items we focus on so I decided it was time Vintaj had a spotlight.  I've had this wooden birdhouse sitting on my shelf for about two years now, just waiting for the right project.
I decided it needed a copper roof.  I used the new foil card stock from Ranger and my old scallop decorative scissors to cut the layers for the roof.  To create my copper roof, I used Vintaj patina paints which are specially formulated to adhere to metal and do not need to be sealed.  I gave the layers one coat of Jade patina paint from the Weathered Collection and then went over it again using Antique Copper from the Ancient Coin collection.
The scalloped roof strips were adhered with Wonder tape.  I used strips from the new Industrious Stickers - Borders to cover where the strips met.  It has sort of a pewter look to it.  I had planned to give it the copper patina treatment, but once I had the strips in place, I decided I liked the contrast and left them as they were.
I painted the bare wood at the bottom of the bird house with Vintage Photo distress paint and papered the main body with Walking in the Forest, the lovely fall paper from Maja Design.  I decided to add a couple of matching medallions using the 25mm Small Circle Altered Blanks and the Nouveau Roses Vintaj metal embossing folder.  I was going to paint them with the patina blocks, but I went ahead and burnished them with the Reliefing block and I really liked the natural look so left them as they were.  I strung together 4 small jump rings to make a chain so the could dangle.
For a little more decoration, I cut a couple of leaves out of the foil card stock, also ran them through the Nouveau Roses embossing folder and painted them with more of the Patina paints, this time using  paints from the Rusted Hardware collection blended in with a bit of Aged Bronze from the Ancient Coin collection.  I also painted the word band with Aged Bronze.

There you have my spotlight on Vintaj.  Don't forget, all my Vintaj products are on our Friday Focus 15% off discount this week.  I'm happy my little birdhouse has finally been decorated and turned into a charming fall decoration.  I really love the patina paints and frequently reach for a bottle to alter a bit of metal for a project.  Vintaj has a lot of great videos on their website to demo using their products.  Here is a basic one on using the patina paints.

Thanks again for stopping by and have a great weekend!

Blessings & hugs,
Linda



These products used to make this project are available at The Funkie Junkie Boutique, where Tim Holtz and Ranger products are always 20% below MSRP:

3 comments:

  1. This bird house is so adorable! I love the roof you made and I don't know that I would have thought to use the foil cardstock with the Patinas, but it's perfect! This is such a great project. I love Vintaj products and you used them so cleverly in this project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely superb Linda!!! This is such a clever idea and I love the way those patinas have reacted on the metal elements. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful Linda, It inspires me to get out my vintaj!!

    ReplyDelete