Saturday, March 19, 2016

Saturday Step by Step: Wildflower Card


Hello everyone and welcome, Zoe here. I am delighted to be your host for this Saturday Step by Step with Frilly and Funkie. As we shake off winter and get ready to greet the new season, it inspired me to break open the new wildflower thinlits die set and make a spring card. Here's how...


Step 1: Cut a piece of paper 4.25  x 5.5 inches and cover with a light layer of white gesso using a distress collage brush.


Step 2: Once completely dry, distress the edges and machine or hand stitch.


Step 3: Take distress watercolor cardstock and die cut a couple of the flowers and a wall from the Tim Holtz wildflower and mixed media 3 thinlits die sets. Cut the wall away from the cardstock so you are just left with the outline.


Step 4:  Gather the wildflower die cuts and distress crayons.


Step 5: Lightly apply the distress crayons to the die cut and rub with your finger. Brush water over the top with a paint brush to blend the crayons.


Step 6: Use the same distress crayon technique with the wall die cut and once dry, attach to background with a dab of glossy accents. Scribble distress crayon onto a non-stick craft mat and spritz with water. Mix with a paintbrush and brush over the brick work to create a shadow. It's just like watercolouring!


Step 7: Attach the wildflowers to the background with another dab of glossy accents to the stalks and center of the flowers. Carefully lift some of the petals to give dimension to the card.


Step 8: Dab antique linen and vintage photo distress crayon to the edges of the background and blend with your finger. Add rubons or stamps, (I used butterflies from Tim Holtz remnant rubs). Add a metal embellishment, (I used an idea-ology mini plaque). Finally spritz with ground espresso distress marker with the marker spritzer.


Step 9: Mount the background onto paper, (I used paper from the Tim Holtz Dapper paper stash), which I mounted onto a sheet of the new denim from the Tim Holtz textile surfaces.


You could also add a sentiment to the card to suit a specific occasion.

I hope you enjoyed the step by step. Don' forget to take a look at the current "Make it a trio" challenge and have a great weekend.

Zoe


30 comments:

  1. LOVE this card and your clever tutorial Zoe! So good to see how you used the Distress Crayons. Thank you for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful card Zoe and great tutorial. Love how you used the brick cut out as the background. happy weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, I honestly think I need to copy this beauty. This is so beautiful 😉

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, I honestly think I need to copy this beauty. This is so beautiful 😉

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! I love the touch of brick detail behind the beautiful flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh i love this!!!! beautiful Zoe!! i can't wait to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diana, can't wait to see what you create. :)

      Delete
  7. Great tutorial! Thanks so much for sharing! I got that ink pen spritzer yesterday and love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Juli, I love my distress marker spritzer. Have fun. :)

      Delete
  8. I am in love with is one. It is absolutely wonderful Zoe! Thank you for the amazing step by step tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the look of this card! Thank you for the step by step.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to comment Marci. :)

      Delete
  10. This is so stunning and elegant! I love the shadow in the brick wall because it adds so much depth and dimension. Gorgeous make!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent tutorial Zoe and such an elegant card - the brickwork die has just shot to the top of my 'want' list! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne, it's definitely one for the collection. Can't wait to see what you make. :)

      Delete
  12. Love this one Zoe. The wild flowers make me think of summer-to-come. Very clever xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I agree about the flowers, they make me feel summery too. :)

      Delete
  13. I told you, I had to copy it ;)

    http://majos-art.blogspot.de/2016/03/wildflowers.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just went to have a look and it's gorgeous Majo! Going back to leave you some blog love. :)

      Delete
  14. What a gorgeous creation! Love the products you chose, you showcased them so well. Thanks for the step by step!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Barb. I really appreciate your comment. :)

      Delete
  15. What a gorgeous creation! Love the products you chose, you showcased them so well. Thanks for the step by step!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful spring card, Zoe! I love those brick work and wildflower thinlits and they are heading to the top of my list. Great way to make a subtle shadow. Just gorgeous altogether and a wonderful tutorial.

    ReplyDelete