Wednesday, April 5, 2023

A Tag Book of Memories


It's Lyla here to kick off our new Design Team theme Tag Team Time.  We are asked to make a project using more than one tag.

As sad as this is for me, I took the time Hunni Pi rested next to me to make this "Tag Team" project for The Funkie Junkie Boutique's newest assignment for TFJB Inspiration Ave blog. My tears flowed, but it was helpful to think of something that will hold photos of all the good memories I will have of Hunni and I together. That kind of thinking fueled my work and I'm pleased with how it turned out. 


I was very happy that The Funkie Junkie Boutique was able to restock Eileen Hull's Library Pocket Thinlit Die set to use along with my Tim Holtz Tag Collection Thinlits. Thanks, Linda! I had several "dog papers" in my stash for some time now. But while still in Florida, this 'clock paper' caught my eye- with good reason. I felt it would make a good backing to tie my Tags into a booklet.


Before we get started, here's a handy list of links to tools and materials I used:




I began by tearing my TH File Card into two halves for my front and back covers. Then I started die cutting all my papers into Tags as well as heavier cardstock to use as my middle for the Tag pages to stiffen it up.  I also die cut smaller Tags -enough to make 6 fronts & 6 backs. Don't forget reinforcers for the Tags for looks.


I used Glossy Accents to adhere all the reinforcers to the Tags on both sides, then set them all aside for now.


I die cut 3 Library Pockets and 3 double-sided Cards to go inside. There are smaller 'tab' dies, so I made 3 of those (and a spare), as well as 3 Bookplates, then set those aside, too.


I wanted to create a couple of my own kind of Tags- Americana, to show off my "All American Helper Hero" Hunni Pi. So I dug up some favorite stash papers (I must've gotten a ton of this years ago) and cut down the larger pieces into smaller ones that fit into a Tag die.


You can see how I adhered the top blue first.


To get the 'tear' on both edges: start by tearing off a bit from the bottom on the right side. You'll want your right hand to pull the paper UP, while your left hand pulls the other half DOWN.


Then turn the paper 180* and do the same thing: right side goes up with the right hand and left side goes down with the left hand.


Begin another tear off the bottom (scrap it away) to begin another "Stripe's" edge.


Once you've adhered all the pieces, simply die cut the entire piece into a Tag.


Before I tore my clocks up, I took another scrap 12x12 like-sized to make a plan of how many strips I would need for the number of Tags I wanted.


This actually worked out pretty well for me by just using the TH Mini File Folder as my guide for width. It measured 4 inches, so that gave me 3 folds from 1 strip. At 12x12, this meant I needed just over 7 strips.



Then I did a Paula Cheney kind of thing to 'splotch' up my clock papers by smooshing some TH Ground Espresso Oxide onto my Craft Sheet and spraying some water onto it, then just dragging all my papers through the mess, then heat dry all of it.


Next was to edge everything with the same Ground Espresso Oxide, but with a Blending Tool.  Getting some into those creases helps give the aged look. Remember to heat dry once again. It was during this, I happened to find some pink ribbon that just happened to match Hunni Pi's lead and her washed-out collar.


I gave the same aging treatment to all the papers and started putting it all together. TH Long Fasteners helped make the Bookplates look real.


I started layering the front cover to the first Tag... there are TWO papers here: one under and one on top.


Keep layering as you add another Tag... until you can add the back cover to close up like a book. I actually had one more Tag set than I needed but didn't have a set of papers for the front and back. You'll see in the end photos where I added another element instead!


Here, you can see all the middle parts of each Tag. Each will be covered up- except for that one extra. This is showing the backside of the foldout.


Here, the front side of the foldout is shown. I did purposefully place some of the clock paper upside down in order to keep both sides the same direction. My thinking is how we cannot control time itself.


At this point, we were still in Florida and Hunni Pi was just starting to become 'clingy'. She was just dropping wherever I was standing in order to stay near me.


By the time I was able to work on this again- we were back home in Indiana and the clinging was increasing. She sleeps a lot now & it gave me time to finish this.


I added some Idea-ology items and printed out her name onto plain cardstock. Can you spot the element that is going to be on that extra Tag? It's from an older TH Movers and Shapers Bigz XL Pocket Envelope Die. But you can find the newer TH Thinlits Collector Die Set (link is included up above).

Here's the finished project:


Front with belly band on. And if you haven't guessed: this is one of Hunni Pi's blankies. I am using for displaying this project.


The boy reminds me of how our younger Son was getting ready to graduate high school and head off to Purdue - officially making us "Empty Nesters". This pup helped me while I was alone a lot after that when ChiefHubby was still on the VFD and working full time as well. The 1/4 is half of an older TH Type Chip, for the 14 years she'll be. The paw charm and the paw print brads used on the inside Tags are from stash.



Front of Tag Booklet without belly band.


I used my TH Tiny Attatcher on these TH Stencil Chips to add Hunni's name. Hunni comes from a dear friend in Alabama who had a Golden Retriever  she named Hunni. I named mine after hers. Pi comes from actual 3.14 pi because our Sons were both Honors Math students. (Click here to see related photo from previous post.)


This can be opened like a book, or spread out as in the following photos.


The Pocket holds the small Tags, which I added TH Jump Rings to, for adding notes or details on a photo.



The back of the extra Tag is a good place to keep her papers....


The loss of a Helper Dog is like getting an arm ripped away from your own body.  The bond is a special kind of thing that happens once in a lifetime- if you're BLESSED. And we were... VERY much so. Hopefully, this will help me get through and remember the good times. My concern now is for Hunni Pi to get through this time.


The backside with belly band on.


I think she approves.


Thanks so very much for joining me on this journey of puppi love in handcrafting a Tag booklet for tucking away happy memories.

Remember to pop back in for more of our Design Team as we play Tag Team for the next 2 weeks here on TFJB Inspiration Ave. Don't forget to grab what you need from our Sponsor; The Funkie Junkie Boutique before you head off to create your own.

And now it's your turn: TAG, YOU'RE IT!

Until next time...

Stay Safe &
HAPPY BLOGGING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment