Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Lisa's Stencil Sensation

Hello Funkie Junkie fans, Lisa Hoel here! Our theme this time is "Stencil Sensation"! I definitely have a love for stencils. They are a handy tool to have in your creative arsenal and you can do so much with them. I created a practical and pretty journal to keep track of my extensive *ahem* bearded iris collection. Using the Eileen Hull Field Notes & Specimen Card Die to create a flip style journal on rings means I can add pages easily. There are several of my iris varieties that I need to get photos of this spring so I can add them to the journal.

Lisa Hoel for The Funkie Junkie Boutique  #creativejuicefreshsqueezed   #tim_holtz #thefunkiejunkieboutique

Of course I used many stencils to decorate the covers and pages! Take a look:


Lisa Hoel for The Funkie Junkie Boutique  #creativejuicefreshsqueezed   #tim_holtz #thefunkiejunkieboutique

I used Gel Press prints on the inside covers.

Lisa Hoel for The Funkie Junkie Boutique  #creativejuicefreshsqueezed   #tim_holtz #thefunkiejunkieboutique


Lisa Hoel for The Funkie Junkie Boutique  #creativejuicefreshsqueezed   #tim_holtz #thefunkiejunkieboutique


Lisa Hoel for The Funkie Junkie Boutique  #creativejuicefreshsqueezed   #tim_holtz #thefunkiejunkieboutique


Lisa Hoel for The Funkie Junkie Boutique  #creativejuicefreshsqueezed   #tim_holtz #thefunkiejunkieboutique


I have some process photos to share:


I used a couple of methods to make it easy to do a lot of pages in a short time. First, two pages fit under one of the big stencils. I spritzed through the stencil, set those pages off to dry, and then used the spray left on the stencil to make a monoprint onto two new pages. I could actually get two sets of monoprint pages done with the residual ink from the initial spritz. That saved a lot of time.


Monoprint with stencil - I spritzed the residual ink with water
and then squished onto the pages.


2) More stencils! Over the top of the Distress Spray I used more stencils to add accent layers with acrylic paint. I knew the centers of the pages would be covered by a photo so I concentrated on the edges. I followed up with a bit of stamping with Archival ink.


3) Covers: I forgot to take photos while I was making them, oops! For a first layer, I did the same thing with Antique Linen Distress Oxide Spray as I did with the pages. Over that, I used the Tim Holtz Deco Leaf Layering Stencil to add Translucent Distress Crackle Paste in parts. Once it was dry, I spritzed with various colors of Distress Spray and water to get it to bleed into the crackle and pool around the paste shape edges. It's a great effect!

1) base background - I cut the pages out of heavy mixed media paper and used Antique Linen Distress Oxide Spray plus stencils to create a base texture.


Thanks for stopping by. Keep an eye here on the Funkie Junkie Boutique Blog, Inspiration Ave. to see all the inspiring content each week. Don't miss it…

Supplies used:

Eileen Hull Die - Field Notes & Specimen Card
Tim Holtz Stamp Sets - Halftone & Rings

Stencils:
Tim Holtz Layering Stencils: SticksBerry LeavesDeco Leaf
Dina Wakley Stencils: PiecesVaried
Dylusions Stencils: HexicombDot Grid

Sizzix Mat Board
Distress Oxide Spray - Antique Linen
Distress Spray - Twisted Citron, Saltwater Taffy, Speckled Egg
Ranger Archival Ink - Frayed Burlap, Spiced Marmalade, Peeled Paint, Mermaid Lagoon, Picked Raspberry
Acrylic paint (Distress Paint is perfect!)





No comments:

Post a Comment