Saturday, February 8, 2014

Saturday Step X Step - altered mountboard hanging

Well it is Trace here with a Saturday Step X Step and for today's I have surprised myself and probably everyone else by using some very un-me colours ...so here goes:

I started by applying picket fence distress paint through one of Linda's new Prima stencils...this one is gorgeous...


Now the stencil is not long enough to cover the whole tag , so I applied the paint using some cut n dry foam to the top part of the tag , removed the stencil and dried then placed on bottom half and repeated, now for some colour...I selected spun sugar (see told it is was un-me colours!), shabby shutters and tumbled glass distress stains. I applied to the tag dry then spritzed with water ...dried and added more stain and water until happy.

I then scribbled some stains onto my craft sheet and created a background onto my larger piece of mount board...(don't worry this is only the base layer it gets prettier honest!)



I repeated until happy and then added the same distress inks around the edge and over areas of the stains to enrich their colours. I then spritzed some water onto my hand and flicked onto surface, left for a few seconds and blotted off. Make sure you heat dry at this point to make sure it is dry...so then your stamping won't run in a minute.


 So here are the base layers ready for stamping and embellishing...firstly I placed the same stencil back over areas of the background piece of mount board and applied some tumbled glass distress ink ...it is all about building up the layers..so it doesn't look too great at first!


Then I added some stamping using a small stamp and shabby shutters distress ink.


Finally I added some stamping using part of a larger stamp , inked in Victorian velvet. when using a large stamp you can use unmounted and roll across the background ..therefore only using part of the stamp...giving a much more random effect.


Now for the details...I made some flowers cut from Linda's crinoline and dyed with tumbled glass stain..I used 3 layers for each flower ( if you don't like the blue fingered look you may want to use gloves...me I am okay with the blue!)


I spritzed with water and dipped into stain on sheet.


I then heat dried and tried to keep scrunching them..hence the blue fingers!


Now for the layering up ...here is the finished piece....


(about as un-me as I could do I think!?) so I layered my tag onto my mount board base. then added lots of the new Tim foliage dipped into shabby shutters... The crinoline flowers were secured with a brad found in my stash...


For the focal point I added this lovely quote from artistic outpost stamped in archival ink.


I added lots of pink ish flowres using a piece of card dipped into Victorian velvet and spun sugar distress stains and cut using tattered floral strip die..


Finally some of the gorgeous seam binding dyed by Linda..that comes in lots of her yummy parcels from the boutique!

Well if you made it to the end I think you deserve a cuppa!
Keep those fingers inky!
Trace  x


21 comments:

  1. What a lovely hanging Trace. Love the way you've trailed the flower stems over the tag and sentiment. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pastel shades of colour that have blended so well and gorgeous flowers xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. stunning work Trace - this is fabulous xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pastel shades Trace - I have not thought of putting those three together, but the blend so beautifully. The whole hanging is just fabulous and I love the flowers! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so pretty Trace! As you say not your usual colours (nor mine, lol) but they give a welcome breath of spring which is very much needed around here. Loved the background right from the word Go!

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the how to, nice soft background. I'll have to try scrunching my flowers..lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty and love how your created the background. I love the sentiment and after the winter we have had, the pastel colours do make me think of spring and the sentiment is like a pep talk encouraging me to hang in.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a lovely wallhanging. The colors are very spring-like which is great since I'm really over winter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pretty pastel shades are so fresh, you work well in these colours Trace! The sentiment is fantastic. Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a pretty hanging Trace. The colours look stunning together. I have that sentiment too and put it in my friends little quote book. Hugs Rita xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful hanging Trace!! They may not be your usual colours, but it has all of your special touches, - gorgeous subtle colours, and beautiful layers. The crinoline flowers combined with the little pink ones look so pretty and the stamped words just finish it off perfectly!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There must be something in the air with all of us heading to pink and pretty lately!! It's a lovely hanging, Trace - the Picket Fence resist on the tag background is so brilliantly shabby chic - love it!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so lovely, very feminine and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh la la so pretty! Love the background's blended colors. Done very well for an in-Trace piece!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Trace, I am absolutely in love with your project! The gorgeous soft colors and layering!! Soooooooo very pretty! What an awesome tutorial!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Seriously sensational, both the wal hanging and the tutorial. I love the softness of the colors and he background. Just gorgeous, Trace.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Trace, your wall hanging is gorgeous as are those tempting flowers! Love how you used the AO sentiment! Wonderful tutorial and thank you for sharing! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mighty pretty Trace - I am glad you go with different colors cause it sure has put a smile on my face!
    sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my this is beautiful. I Need to go play with my flowers!

    ReplyDelete