Wednesday, May 3, 2023

For Mom, Love Lyla

 Of course, I'm keeping up with my crafting while I am up here in New York again- even as busy as I am with the Grandbabies! And with both my Sons having had their birthdays within the past 3 weeks of each other (April 14th and May 2nd), it reminds me that I was "Mom" well before I was "Memaw". When my FurryBaby, Hunni Pi, passed a few weeks ago; I caught myself thinking that my "Mom" days were now over. But that's far from true; the real truth is that I will always be a Mom. Once a Mom; always a Mom! Our kids will always need us in some way; whether to advise them, help them in some way, to gather the family together, or just be there for them to know the comfort that we're still here. A Mom's work is never done when it comes to her Children- that love never ends! And since May is also the month for Mother's Day, Linda, owner of The Funkie Junkie Boutique, has a theme just for MOM this next two weeks on TFJB Inspiration Ave! We're crafting up a spring storm of inspirational makes based on "We Love You, Mom!", Scroll along with me and see what I came up with...


It began with some Happy Mail from The Funkie Junkie Boutique!


I couldn't wait to get my hands on the brand-new Tim Holtz Rotary Trimmer. Eileen Hull's Tiny Book Bigz Die was on clearance, and I got it at a great deal of a price! These dies sold out quickly, but you'll find others, so be sure to always check out the Clearance section at The Funkie Junkie Boutique!


My main inside materials came in that Happy Mail: all the brown wrapper paper!! It's always great to recycle and reuse as much as possible. :) I simply measured how wide the book shape was from the die, and then cut stacks of about 10 layers until it was all cut basically the same shape and size.


Look how clean and easy that new TH Rotary Media Trimmer slices! And I tried out matboard and other materials- just practicing with it. All materials cut very nicely and evenly without moving around.



Once I had it all cut, I sewed stacks of 10 sheets together.



I cut the bases from matboard, but also had some thin, ribbed cardboard that I always save from new pillowcases and sheet sets. I cut a couple of those out, unsure of which would work best for these books.


Remember that "Let's Get Cozy" paper set from #3 Frozen Winter project? Well, like I said then: this package of paper isn't just for winter...that bunny quilting looked perfect for 2 of my books!


Here I've cut out the outsides and insides of the cover bases. I also cut buckles and some rounded discs and keys- not sure what all I would use- or not.


I simply started sewing all around the edges, and odd stitches here and there.


I also stopped to sew up several pairs of shorts and pants on the hemlines for my ChiefHubby. I sewed SO MUCH... I literally ran out of thread in one day! All that was left was enough to fill one last bobbin.


I got out an old (Retired) Tim Holtz Bigz Die Sewing Room. It had cute button and spool shapes.


I got kind of an assembly line going for the books themselves...


...when I decided to ditch the mat board and go with the ribbed cardboard.


To keep your spool flat: cut 2 spools and use only the middle of one. After adhering the ends, use them to secure the thread, wind it up the middle of the spool and secure to the other end. The spool will lay flat on the top of the book.


I decided to glaze the button and one key. The keys would make a cute bookmark on a ribbon through the spines.


It's time to sew the spines to the stacks. Yes, I did retrim all the paper stacks. I left all the threads on, as those would tuck under the covers.


I used a couple of firm clips to help me get those stitches in- as well as a pair of pliers!


Tying a couple of embellishment weights (charms and IdeaOlogy) then adding the buckle to secure the ribbon. Most of my ribbons are FREEBIE gifts that come with Happy Mail from TFJB!


Last is gluing all the covers in place and the embellishments.


Here's a list of helpful links for products used:



And these are what I ended up with:



For our older Daughter, Ashley.


For our younger Daughter, Holli.


For my Mother


The Backside of my own- as a Mom, too!


Closeup of stitching.


Closeup of inside bookmark key in my own Notebook,


The pages are crinkly and easily able to be torn out for use as scrap notes.


Backsides of all Notebooks.


Thanks, once again, for joining me for the start of our new theme, "We Love You, Mom!"
Please, join along as each Design Team Member adds their own project to  TFJB Inspiration Ave
You're sure to find some new and exciting products sampled that will be stocked by The Funkie Junkie Boutique and be available for shipping in the coming days!

To all you MOMs out there:
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

Until next time...

Happy Blogging!!

No comments:

Post a Comment