Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Lyla's Americana

  

Back at The Funkie Junkie Boutique, Owner Linda has been very busy; Tim Holtz came out with some new tools and I sorely needed one of them: Rotary Media Trimmer. It came just in time for my project I had planned for Inspiration Ave's "Americana", the new theme for this next 2 weeks: Let's scroll down to see where my tools took me...


Happy Mail from The Funkie Junkie Boutique brought me the new TH Backdrops Vol 4


Once again; a chance to use that fabulous new TH Rotary Media Trimmer


If you're a long-time Tim fan, you may remember when he first put out an"Americana" set of 3 new (back then) Distress Ink Pads. While no longer sold as a set, all three shades are still available separately. Seen here are TH Backdrops Vol 1 (reddish and bluish) & Vol 4 (tanish).

Before I started with my Background Vol 1 papers, I thought "if I end up overlapping, or underlapping (with gaps), I might want a base paper underneath. In moho: there is no better paperie to use than these Backdrop papers-they're tough but manageable for every crafting situation!


I did my fave technique of burnishing both sides with a couple sheets of Vol 4.


Then I went back to my chosen papers and started cutting 1 inch slices. You can choose another size, but I felt like 1 inch was good for me. The last one was just over the one inch, but instead of cutting it perfectly,
I decided to just go to the next step with it as is....


...using the Rotary Trimmer to then cut all the slices into one inch cubes.


When I got to inking them, I thought the Frayed Burlap Distress Ink was just a bit too much on the greenish side, and reached for my go-to-fave Distress Oxide; Vintage Photo, instead. After doing each cube all around the edges in its respective shade, I heat dried them all.


Not to be without a plan for fitting... I laid some out just to see how it looked and noticed those larger squares were overlapping and frankly, it looked CUTE! Reminded me of the patched red, white, and blue clothes we wore in the 70's - especially around 1976 during the Bi-Centennial when everyone had at least one American Flag-colored piece of clothing.


So I used Glossy Accents to start my layering and when I got finished with the Front of the Tag, I decided...


...to do the Back of the Tag also!


Then my ArtMuse took me further- I got the Etcetera Scalloped Trims out for a shelf to go under the Paper Doll Portraits for the Front side.


Here's some links to help you find what you need:



And here's what it looks like...


Front of Tag





Back of Tag





I think the back side of this tag is my favorite because the seashell is the last one I picked up
from the beaches (my Happy Place) of the Emerald Coast new our Florida home just before we left to go back to Indiana. It's been many years since I was able to hear anything from a seashell, but the TH Large Word Band is a fitting description: if only I could hear the echoing story coming from it.

Thanks so much for joining me on another creative journey!
Remember to pop back in so you can see all the latest projects from our awesome Design Team at Inspiration Ave!

And be sure to look up the links above for the latest tools and materials arriving at

Until next time...

Stay Safe &
HAPPY BLOGGING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment