Hello! Welcome to today's Step x Step, it's Sue here and today I'm sharing a project that sort of came together as it went along! I didn't have a plan, which sometimes does pay off!
To start with I grabbed some Wendy Vecchi Art Parts; I love the flourishes on this particular one!
I painted both pieces with white acrylic paint, then I mixed one drop of Hydrangea Archival re-inker with some Wendy Vecchi Crackled Texture Paste. I spread the paste over the Tim Holtz Lace stencil, leaving gaps, I didn't want the whole piece covered.
I then used more acrylic paint but this time it's mixed with Acrylic Glazing Liquid, this makes the paint translucent but more importantly it sinks into the wonderful cracks of the Crackled Texture Paste.
Still not sure where I was headed with this piece I grabbed the Tim Holtz Brushed Pewter spray Distress Stain. Loved the effect of the spray on the paint ! I decided to leave it here for the main piece and think about the embellishments.
These fabulous bird cages are from Kaisercraft, which Linda now stocks in The Funkie Junkie Boutique. I painted it first of all with acrylic paint then with my finger dabbed on some Wendy Vecchi white Embossing Paste. I then sprayed it with the Brushed Pewter spray Distress Stain but decided it was too silver so sprized it with the Tarnished Brass spray. Now I'm starting to like it !
These large filigree corners are also available in The Funkie Junkie Boutique and although I've only used one I wanted to show the transformation. I painted the one on the right with black acrylic paint and when dry spritzed it with Brushed Pewter and Tarnished Brass spray Distress Stains.
Before I glue any embellishments down I always place them on the project and more often than not leave it for 24 hours so I can think about it. It doesn't matter what colour they are as they're all going to be painted, at this stage it's making sure the composition looks balanced.
I took all of the embellishments off and painted them all with black acrylic paint. I wasn't paying particular attention when drying them and over heated one or two and made the paint bubble, but once I started to spray them with the spray stains it added to the texture!
I made some small tiles with the text, which is from Wendy Vecchi's Fashion Style and Art stamp set.The words were stamped on to white card that had been spritzed with Brushed Pewter then cut up and stuck to pieces of mount board. To frame them and make them stand out from the background I edged all of the with black acrylic paint.
This is the finished piece! I did one final spritz with Brushed Pewter when it was finished just to tie everything together.
The embellishments have a slight purple tinge as one of the layers of spraying is with Seedless Preserves Distress Stains; I didn't have the spray version so decanted some into a small spray bottle.
You can see on the above shot the tiles edged with black, and the bird cage which has taken on the rusty forgotten look I was after.
I wanted to show you the wonderful crackle from the paste and how the colour has seeped into the cracks.
One final shot of the crackle and you can also see the sheen from the Brushed Pewter spray Distress Stains.
Hope you've enjoyed today's step x step.