Saturday, June 25, 2016

Saturday Step by Step: Steampunk Mirror



Hello!! Welcome to the Frilly and Funkie Blog and the Saturday step by step! It's Nancy today. Y'all know I'm a frilly girl by nature. My projects always feature pretty papers, bows, and pearls. Today I'm breaking loose and trying something a little bit frilly AND a little bit funkie. We can blame the amazing ladies on funkie team for this. I've been seduced by the funkie side! 

It all started with this flea market hand mirror and a pile of Prima metals and findings from The Funkie Junkie Boutique. 



Two coats of Prima Heavy Gesso are applied to the mirror. Stippling the gesso on the face of the mirror adds a textured effect. Once the mirror is dry I have an opportunity to play around with the metal embellishments for a general idea of where I will place a sentiment stamp. 


Next the metals get a coat of Prima Heavy Gesso and are set aside to dry. I forgot to take a photo of this step, but applying gesso and watching it dry is a little tedious, so I'm thinking you'll forgive me. 

Now for some fun! Several Tim Holtz Distress Stains and Lindsay's Stamp Gang Starburst Sprays provide gorgeous color. I just spray randomly until I like the way it looks, working from lightest to darkest. The stains take on a less vibrant tone as the pieces dry. I'm loving purple and green right now. I'll leave a full list of all the stain colors at the bottom of the post. 


The sentiment is embossed using Lindsay's Stamp Gang embossing powder. The color in the jar appears purple, but surprisingly it is more of a burgundy on the project. While working with the mirror, most of the 'u' in the word 'you' chipped off. My choices are to start over or live with the chipped letter. I'm letting go of perfectionism (just this once!) and living with it. 




All of the stains I used are water reactive, so it's necessary to add a protective barrier with Ranger Multi Medium Matte. Even the moisture from the Multi Medium moves the color around a bit. It's no problem. Just pick up some of the desired stain on a brush along with some Multi Medium and touch up the areas that need it. Once the Multi Medium is applied the colors appear bolder, more the way they look when they are wet. 




With everything colored, stamped, and sealed, the metals can be arranged and glued down. Ranger Multi Medium Matte works perfectly for adhering most of the embellishment. I had to use a hot glue gun for a couple really stubborn pieces. Below are photos of the final arrangement and completed project. 








Thank you so much for stopping by to take a peek at my altered mirror! It's a departure from my usual style, but has been so very fun to create. I wish you a day of sunshine, happiness, and delightful crafty endeavors! 

Hugs, 

Nancy 


18 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Nancy, wow!! I love all the different amazing elements you uses, and the touch of purple is wonderful! Fabulous project. hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowzers! This is fantastic and gorgeous! Like a beautiful mirror in a fairy tale!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely stunning and while it is a bit on the funkie side, you can still see lots of frilly in it. Love the resulting colour palette and the great sentiment.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  4. That mirror was such a great find Nancy and the way you decorated it is just completely wonderful! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic project Nancy and so creative. Love it.
    Hugs, Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is gorgeous and the colors are perfect, beautiful way to alter a mirror! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous steampunk mirror, Nancy, and I'm still rubbing my eyes to be sure it's the same Nancy who makes those ultra feminine cards! Wow! You stepped out and nailed this! Big round of applause! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW!!!!! This is amazing! I love all the fun pieces you added and the colors are outstanding! Wonderful job!
    Sherrie K

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm very impressed, Nancy! It is so fun to break out of the box from time to time! I love your colors on this piece, so amazing! Well done and thanks for all of the details. <3

    ReplyDelete