Thursday, November 3, 2016

Guest Designer - Karen Bearse

Please say hello and give a big welcome to our Guest Designer for the What a Mesh challenge.  Karen Bearse of Karen Bearse Designs was the Design Team's Top Pick for the Going Round in Circles challenge.


"I am a transplanted Canadian living in the US married with 3 fun loving, crazy, talented kids. I have been crafting forever and have settled into the mix media world via the scrapbook world. Teaching in various stores for the last 7 or so years, my passion is teaching students to push themselves into creating above what they think they are capable of. My favorite words from a student is “I can’t believe I made this”. Most days you can find me, hands covered in color of various means, experimenting with products and substrates.

Thank you so much to Frilly & Funkie for letting me be a guest designer!"



"Ok I know it is November but I am suffering from, where did the summer go? Literally want to run away to the beach. I needed something to remind me that next year I should focus on enjoying this short season! For the “What A Mesh!” challenge I have done an art journal page on Art Board.

I started with mesh from a fruit bag embedded in modeling paste, some stencil work, and crackle paste as a base. Using multiple levels of paint including the fabulous metallique acrylic by Prima helped bring out all the wonderful textures in the background. Embellished by Southern Ridge Cattails chipboard as well as the seahorse die by Tim Holtz & Sizzix, cut from corrugated cardboard. Jazzing these up using glitter glass, micro beads, & glitter just adds to the texture & shimmer. The photo is from our 2015 trip to Florida. Topped it off with a Mechanicals gear that kind of looks like the helm of a ship. I am still very tempted to add a piece of sea netting and some small shells. What do you think, would that be too much? Thanks again for playing along!"


* * *
With the weather turning cold in many places, I am sure Karen's beach-themed project is a welcome way to take you back to warmer times. To get all the details of her project, click here to be taken to her blog and then come on back and show us your project for Pamellia's What a Mesh challenge. You have until November 15th at 11:55 pm EST.

20 comments:

  1. This is beautiful Karen! Like you I so want to go to the beach right now and this definitely transports me back there in my mind. Loving your use of mesh for such a great texture. Thank you so much for joining us as a Guest Designer xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this sparkles like a jewel! And you know, Karen...fall is the best time to go to the beach, just sayin'! I absolutely love all the gorgeous texture here. The mesh bag embedded in the paste was a brilliant move. Thanks so much for being our Guest Designer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy, I am trying to go even if it is just for the day! Need to stick my toes in the sand!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful shimmery background which reminds me of the warm vacations at the beach. Lovely! Thanks you for joining us as a guest designer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzanne, it is super shimmery live. Fun playing with you all!

      Delete
  4. Oh Karen! Gorgeous creation!! Love the colors and texture and sparkle. Here I am thinking that I was over my mourning of the summer season and your project just made me long for the beach again. I love it!!! Wonderful make -- Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beach is one of my favorite places too! Thanks Mary.

      Delete
  5. Great to see Karen here. Love this rich creation and that fab seahorse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love playing with these gals, thanks Marjie!

      Delete
  6. Such wonderful texture and details! Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful colors and texture - and I love the chipboard cattails!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful but your idea of a net and shells is wonderful. Would not be too much - just complete an already beautiful piece, like when you add diamond earrings before going out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucie! I may give it a try- as soon as I find that net!

      Delete
  9. It's great to see Karen and her beautiful canvas here! Karen, I love the texture and this gorgeous scene! Not sure where you are in the States, but here in NC you can visit the beach all year long! Like Kathy says, the fall is the BEST time! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara. I am in north VA and I do need to get south at some point!

      Delete
  10. What an awesome beach canvas Karen! I'm so happy to see you guesting here with this fabulous inspiration. Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete