Friday, October 28, 2016

Friday Focus - Dina Wakley Media

Double click any image to zoom in for details.
Hello everyone, Linda here pinch hitting this time with our bi-weekly Friday Focus.  This time we are focusing on Dina Wakley Media products.  All of the Dina Wakley Media products at The Funkie Junkie Boutique will be reduced an additional 15% for the next two weeks.  Coupled with our normal 20% discount, that means you can (almost) steal these goodies for 35% off list!

I went out on a limb when I volunteered to do this focus on Dina Wakley's products.  If you know me, you know that this is so NOT my style, but I thought it would be fun to play around with Dina's amazing acrylic heavy body paints, stencils and stamps.  
I began my assignment by watching a number of You Tube videos by Dina trying to get a feel for her techniques.  Then I started to play.  I did struggle some and ended up with a few non-starters, but I finally (sort of) got the hang of it.  Both of these tags started with a white gesso base.  Dina recommends that you always start with a substrate with a coat of gesso before applying her paint.  I dry brushed the paint on, leaving some texture.  Dina's brushes are very coarse which lends them to leaving brush strokes.  I didn't have her brushes so my brush strokes are less defined.  For the first tag, I painted on two different colors of heavy body paint and then spritzed it with water.  I really like the effect which you can see below.  


Next I did several layers of stenciling, also using the heavy body paints.  


I added some hand doodling and couldn't resist adding a die cut leaf that I painted and stamped with one of Dina's script stamps.  


I finished it off by stamping, coloring and fussy cutting the little girl and added a Wendy Vecchi  sentiment stamp. 


Being pleased with how the first one came out, I was on a roll and made a second tag.  


For my second tag, I just dry brushed on several colors of the heavy body paints, trying to leave brushstrokes for texture.  


Using Jet Black archival ink, I built up layers with stamping and then stenciling with the heavy body paint.  I again used a Wendy Vecchi sentiment stamp and embellished it with a bit of burlap painted with Dina's paints.  

That's a wrap for my Friday Focus.  I hope you enjoyed it.  Please stop by The Funkie Junkie Boutique and pick up some great bargains on Dina Wakley Media products.  While you are there check out our Clearance tab as well as Pre-order opportunities and New Arrivals.  Lots of goodies there to tempt you :)

3 comments:

  1. Love these funky cool tags Linda! Great artistic vibe in beautiful fall colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a LUSCIOUS grouping of colors on your backgrounds Linda - so vividly Autumn - and total eye candy to this orange/fall lover!! Seems like you did a FABULOUS creative tribute to Dina's techniques. What a fun Friday Focus! Xj.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun Fun Fun. The colors the movement and the design are all bold and striking in their composition! Always happy when you are designing with us Linda!

    ReplyDelete