Thursday, January 5, 2017

Guest Designer - Jennie Atkinson

It is so nice to say hello to our first Guest Designer of the year.  Please welcome Jennie Atkinson of Live The Dream who was the winner of our What a Mesh challenge.


Frilly and Funkie has always been one of my favourite challenges so I am thrilled to be here as Guest Designer. The DT are always so inspirational and talented and many of my favourite techniques have been learnt here over the years.

I live on Shetland, a remote Scottish island nearer to Norway than the UK where the weather can be wild but the scenery and wildlife stunning. We have been here for 37 years and I cannot imagine living anywhere else. I am very lucky to now be retired and spend my days doing all the things I love - messing around in the craft room mostly but I also have a great love of textiles (spinning wool and knitting) and in the summer sailing our yacht Mrs Muir. My crafting style is vintage shabby and more on the soft side of the colour spectrum but I do try to experiment with different techniques and colours from time to time.

It is a great honour to be here sharing a project for this great challenge for the New Year.


The challenge theme was just perfect for my 2017 new year resolution which is to tidy up my craft room as I spend absolutely ages sometimes hunting for something which seems to have been put in such a safe place I cannot find it! As I am always making flowers I have them scattered all over the place without a home, so I decided to alter a box which can sit on the shelf in order that all my handmade blooms are in one place.

I used some favourite Maja Design papers but the size of the box meant I had some fun patching pieces together to ensure it was all covered in the same papers! I have also used a couple of old dictionary pages underneath the main top cover and had fun decorating with all my favourite embellishments.



So far the box hasn’t moved from my craft desk (the clean side!) but it is great to throw in flowers as soon as I find them! I am sure it will find a shelf to sit on eventually. What it has spurred me on to do is think about how I can make my craft room look pretty with more altered boxes like this, so now I am on the lookout for boxes!


* * *
To get more details about Jennie's altered box and check out her other beautiful projects, click HERE to be taken to her blog.

Once you have finished taking a look we hope you will come back and share your New Year's Inspiration project.  You have lots of time since the current challenge is open HERE until January 17th at 11:55 pm EST.

10 comments:

  1. What a beautiful box Jennie!!! I love the shabby chic look you've given it and love that you'll be storing all your wonderful flowers in it to keep them safe (you know I'm a fan of your flowers!) Thank you so much for sharing with us at Frilly and Funkie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning shabby chic creation from Jennie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous box! THe distressed edges look awesome and I love the beautiful flowers! All the fun embellishments are perfectly placed...love this!!!
    Sherrie K

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always a pleasure to have Jennie guest design for us. I absolutely adore her shabby chic creations and this is a fantastic example!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennie!!! What a gorgeous box doll. Great to see ur work again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your style, Jennie! This lovely box has a soft vintage feel to it. I'm sure all your lovely handmade flowers will feel right at home snuggled inside. And, I had to chuckle at the part where you put things in such safe places that you can never find them. Sounds familiar! Thanks for being our guest designer and Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Jennie! I love the soft colors and the beautiful embellishments. I am getting ready to watch the PBS show Shetland which now I know is where you are located. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzanne - enjoy the Shetland series. And yes much of it was filmed close to where I live here in Shetland.

      Delete
  8. Thank you all so much for your lovely comments x

    ReplyDelete