Thursday, December 5, 2019

Guest Designer - Alison Bomber

Please say hello to our Guest Designer for the last challenge of 2019, Alison Bomber of Words and Pictures.  Alison was the Top Pick from the It Looks Real challenge.


Hello all. I’m delighted to be here as a guest today on one of my all-time favourite challenge blogs. First here’s a little about me, and then we can get on to the important stuff - the crafting!

My creativity was never really on the visual side - I was more the words, music, books, theatre type. When I became a freelancer in Spring 2012 after eight years at the Royal Shakespeare Company as a Text and Voice Coach, it was supposed to give me more time for friends and family. I had no idea that within weeks I would be in thrall to a whole new creative passion - stamps/inks/paints/texture/stencils - you name it, I want to play with it! There's always so much to learn, discover and explore. Now I have to balance the two worlds - hence the name of my blog, Words and Pictures. So much for friends and family…

I love mixed media work, with lots of layers and techniques, but sometimes some simple inking and stamping is enough to make me happy. Given how busy we all are at this time of year, I’ve kept today’s Christmas gift tags pretty simple… and here they are.


I’ve wrapped my Christmas presents in brown parcel paper for years - each year with slightly different decorations. After all, you can’t go wrong with “brown paper packages, tied up with string”, can you? These tags will go on some of my kraft paper packages this year. Winter greenery is my favourite form of Christmas decoration, so that’s what I chose to add to the pre-cut kraft tags, along with some sparkling berries.


The fir branches are all cut using Tim Holtz’s Holiday Greens Mini Thinlits, and some of his glorious seasonal sentiments take pride of place, embossed in bright white powder. It’s all finished off with some snowy splatter and as soon as I’ve bought some presents I can start wrapping them!

* * *
Pop on over to Alison's blog post to check out the details for her tags and then come on back and share your holiday projects with us. The challenge can be found HERE and runs through 11:55 pm EST on Tuesday, December 17th. Don't forget to visit on Saturday when one of our designers will have a new Saturday Showcase with lots to inspire you.

3 comments:

  1. What a thrill to have you guesting here for us Alison!!! I love the elegance and natural colour schemes of these beautiful tags. All that would be needed is some plain brown paper wrapping and any parcel would look perfect under the tree. Thank you for sharing your creative brilliance with us xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous Tags Alison's! You are always inspiring me with your art and today is no exception! Thanks for guest designing with us and sharing your beautiful art!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully designed Alison, I adore the use of Kraft card with white embossing it adds an extra touch of Christmas spirit to designs. Wonderfully embellished, these are the sort of tags I save and hang on my Christmas tree. Thank you for sharing these sweet creations.
    Creative wishes Tracey x

    ReplyDelete