Saturday, September 5, 2020

Saturday Showcase Tim Holtz Idea-Ology & Sizzix Feathered Friends

Saturday Showcase time!  Suzz here.   I am continuing with our Birds theme this week and showcasing three cards using the lovely Tim Holtz Idea-Ology, Sizzix Feathered Friends and the Stampers Anonymous Mini Layering Stencil #21!

I think once you pull out a variety of supplies for one project you start to create bits and pieces that don't end up on just one  piece of art.  That leads you onto creating multiples with all the different ideas that are flying around in your head.  The Idea-Ology embellishments just lend them self to accenting and finishing off your designs.  I had pulled out all kinds of embellishments and used them to accent the cards!

This series of cards starting with an old book that I used to pull some pages out and create a variety of backgrounds.  

The backgrounds started with multiple pages torn from the old book. 

First I applied a crackle paste over the stencil on a page. 


I repeated twice to cover the background. 


I then repeated the process with a matte finish embossing paste. With this thin of paper the paste tends to cause the paper to curl up.

I had to let the past dry first.  When I added my sprays I used  my acrylic blocks to help let it dry flat.  (In my picture I just was displaying how I did it but it would have been soaked with water or sprays)

 

While I was waiting for those backgrounds to dry, I die cut a smattering of birds from the same papers and white cardstock. 

I then had an idea of creating a pleated background.  So I started folding a page purposely making the folds uneven and at angles. 

Here is what the finished pleat looked like:

I wanted an uneven edge so I used a ruler to tear the two edges. 

I ended up using both the main piece and the torn piece on my cards.

I decided to add color to my backgrounds.  I started with the antique linen on my darkest background.


I then used the excess from that to pick up on my other backgrounds. 

 

I then added Ground Espresso along the bottom edge: 


Quickly followed by spritzed water to allow it to bleed upwards: 

Then a splattering of gold across the page:

When it was all dry it ended up like this: 

 

The drier the background the more the gold will pop on the background.  I then used a strip from my folded background along the side. Other embellishments were dragged through the leftover ink on my craft mat. 

I will leave you with a few more photos of the finished backgrounds.


I hope this has you inspired to join in the Birds challenge! 

Suzz

Products: 

6 comments:

  1. Love these variations on a theme... beautiful music papers and textured trees and the birds look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzz, each of your samples are beautiful with the variety of musical background papers and those lovely birds. Great idea to pleat the one background and your choice of embellishments are perfect for these charming cards! Thank you for your hard work and inspiration! A wonderful showcase!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really are a master of collage Suzz and these three show how well you can mix and match the various elements to create beautifully balanced pieces. I love the different backgrounds, including that clever pleating, and how you've given each one a totally different look with the use of different media and colour xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your style. Thanks for all these gorgeous ideas.

    ReplyDelete