Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Lyla's Frozen Winter Journal

Let's Get Cozy!
We're kicking off a new theme for the Design Team for the next two weeks.  It's "Frozen Winter" at The Funkie Junkie Boutique's Inspiration Ave and that seems appropriate for this time of year - even for those of us who don't have any snow or ice - simply because the month of January is the very middle of winter itself. While not everyone is going to see freezing temperatures, I'm pretty sure that the word "chilly" has been known to just about everyone in the US, except for the extreme southern areas this year. Anything after December 21st counts and Christmas certainly was a doozy!
I solved my Frozen-Winter-theme/warmer-weather-area problem by choosing a paper pack that would give me colors that could go both ways. Come along with me and see how it came about!


This is what some of those Funkie Junkie Boutique goodies were set aside for!


My tools are all shown in the photos but the main items you will need to create one of these Let's Get Cozy Albums is listed below:


Not used on this project, but clearly matches perfectly:




For the Eileen Hull Scoreboards Plus Dies, you will need to use the Big Shot Plus, or equivalent machine from Sizzix. Also the cutting plates for the Big Shot Plus.


I have stacks of plain colored cardstock here in the Florida home, and these two shades of light grey worked for me for a base.


I've given you the dimensions and number of cuts. I didn't use 2 envelope edges (each color), but I did use everything else.


Now- check out these awesome shades of red and blue with white & cream!


And there's plenty there that could be used for summer projects...or a Florida winter!


I measured the cover for the Journal cut, and chose my fronts and backs to match.


Each of the following photos shows the sizes I cut. This was to be the Fronts and Backs for the covers.


This was to be 2 inside pages (1 for each album).


The above sheet (just a different pattern here but the same inside pages) cut again and then...


... each is folded in half to make two pages each.


I decided to make an inside notebook for the very middle of each album.


Here, I layered the cover sheets.  I decided not to use the Score Tape after all, since I like to have a hard spine and cover, so I chose to use Glossy Accents.


There are all 4 'sections' used on my middle fold- and fully flat.


I laid this out so you can see that the base pages are the exact size of the die, but the Graphic 45 papers are hand cut so they extend past the base. This allows that area to bend freely for the closure.


Here, I've moved the middle covering piece over to the left, so you can see it's nearly the same exact size.  Eileen's die is designed to easily be able to fit your papers - no matter how you cut!


Here: the outside is coming together. You can see I've got a nice hard, flat back spine in the middle.


After getting the envelope flap edges on, all I needed was the top layers.


Getting some stitching done on all the inside pages to make long side pockets for the large Journal Cards.


The cuts on this Frame Pocket Journal Die can be used different ways; a flat pocket or one with more room. 


I didn't have the Sizzix Thinlits Dies - Library Pocket, ATC Card & Tabs by Eileen Hull that works with Eileen's Frame Pocket Journal die, so I got out one of my older Tim Holtz Thinlits Dies.


And did some plugged-into-the-electric-socket stitching...


...and some stitching with no electricity- the notebook was a bit thick.  By stitching it to a matching spine piece, it was easy to sew all the pages to that and then glue it inside.


Here, I am 'stitching' with ribbon. Getting the other 2 sets of inside pages sewn onto that middle piece. Buttons would form the closure - along with velcro pieces.


This is the backside of all three signatures sewn to the middle piece.  I even tied another set of ribbons to the top in order to have a couple of hanging outside the spine for Idea-oogy Snowflakes.


Choosing some TH Idea-ology...


The only color I used for any edging or shading. I know! Who kidnapped me and replaced me?!?  This was just one project that looked right without.

And this is what it came to be...


Fronts

And some element closeups:






And another VIDEO!


And that's a wrap... for today! Don't forget to pop back in for MORE here at TFJB Inspiration Ave from the rest of the fabulous Design Team!! We've got more FROZEN WINTER yet to come, so why not cozy up with us and join us for the fun!

Until next time...

Stay Safe &
HAPPY BLOGGING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment