Friday, October 20, 2023

Janna's Spell Book

This week over at the TFJB Inspiration Ave we are creating to the theme of “Mixed Media Madness”. For this prompt I am going to dive into a Halloween themed journal. We are going to be exploring Distress medias such as inks, distress mica sprays, and oxide sprays. Then we will use a variety of Halloween Idea-ology elements to add in some spooky fun details.

                              

If you would like more in-depth details click here.

Supplies used: Dina Wakely Mixed Media Journal, Idea-ology Layers, Halloween Sticker Book, ephemera, Distress Texture Paste Translucent, Distress Archival Black Soot, Distress Crayons Walnut Stain Crayon, Distress Inks, Distress Spray Stains Vintage Photo and Old Paper, Distress Oxide Spray Brushed Corduroy, Distress Mica Spray Stains Ominous Twilight, Wicked Elixir, Flickering Candle, and Yuletide, Distress Glaze Squeezed Lemonade, and Ranger Fine Gold Embossing Powder.

                         

Today we will be diving into some mixed media fun and art journaling. For the art journal I am working out of and adorned with Texture Paste stars with Unraveled Distress Crayon.


For this mixed media spread I decided to give it a Halloween twist and create a page of mystery and spellcraft. To start I spritzed the pages with water from theDistress Mister. Next I spritzed with some Vintage Photo and Old Paper.


Next I spritzed more water, dried the pages, and then added a layer of Brushed Corduroy Distress Oxide Spray. Dripped and dried at least three more times to get a vintage water damaged page out of an old spell book. 


After the foundation was laid, I stamped with stamp set CMS241 Ledger Script and Black Soot Archival Ink. I stamped on both sides of the spread.


For some added texture I stenciled some stars with the stencil THS170 with Distress Translucent Texture Paste. Then I sprinkled some Distress Squeezed Lemonade Glaze and Ranger Gold Embossing Powder. I let the Texture Paste dry for about 30 minutes before embossing the stars. 


Next I am creating some faux parchment paper. First I took a piece of computer paper and crumpled it up and then smoothed it out. Side note, distress products react very differently on printer paper than on mixed media and distress watercolor substrates.


I spritzed the copy paper with water and then added a layer of  Vintage Photo Distress Spray Stain. Then I dried it and dabbed up some on the water splotches. As you can see below the stain has a very different pattern spread than the mixed media journal, but I like this splotchy look for a spell book page.


For finishing touches crumpled the paper again before I brushed some Distress Archival Ground Espresso across the raised crumple lines.


With the paper successfully altered, I then ripped it and then stamped on it with stamp set Tiny Frights CMS47.


After stamping the cauldron and the potion bottles, I colored the images with some Distress Mica Spray Stains. The colors I used included ominous Twilight, Wicked Elixir, Flickering Candle, and Yuletide. I colored the images with a Fine Tip Water Brush and then dried the pages with the Ranger heat tool. After I glued the pages into the book. I also sealed down the edges with some Collage Medium.


Now for some Idea-ology fun. I dug through my Halloween TH stash of ephemera and added pieces around the pages with some Collage Medium.


With all the ephemera in place it is now time to add some Halloween Idea-ology stickers to create some “spells’.

The last thing I want to do is add some grunge to the stickers to help them blend into the page. To do this I will be pulling in some Walnut Stain Distress Crayon. Here I underlined each word sticker with Distress Crayon and then smudged it in with my finger and a little water.

Now let’s take a closer look at the finished spell craft pages. The text on the page reads as follows: “In the dead of night, double double toil and trouble, lizards leg and howlets wing, bubbling and churning, skull and crossbones, a wicked thing, wool of bat and tongue of dog, something wicked this way comes.”


Page two reads: “in the dead of night written in the skies, a storm still raged, a lost revenge, take the dead dry bones, by the door of the tomb, as when the howling of the wolf is heard, when in a single knot you tie, something dreadfully wicked.”

No comments:

Post a Comment