Cec here and for this Saturday Step X Step, I am going to show you how I made the card and little accessories for my Design Team project for the My Steamer Trunk challenge.
I decided to take my steamer trunk to Europe and pack it with some high fashion so I started by finding the wonderful vintage image, which gave me a colour palette to work with.
I made the little hat first and it is very tiny - only 2" across. I found a wee straw doll hat that I bought 15 years ago in my craft supplies - sure hope that doesn't mean I am a hoarder :) The first thing I did was to paint it white.
I cut two circles from some drapery sheers that were hiding in my fabric cabinet, layered them together and ran a gathering stitch around the edge to draw it into shape for the crown of the hat. I glued it on with a bead of Matte Multi Medium. Then I cut a wide strip of the drapery sheer on the bias, folded it in half lengthwise and glued it on to cover the brim. It is important to cut it on the bias so you can bend it over the brim and around the curve at the same time.
Next I glued some fancy braid around the crown to hide the seam and then started to add some embellishments. The tiny roses were white so I took a blue alcohol marker and dyed a couple blue. You will see in a later photo that I added more flowers and also added some blue pearls to the hat.
Originally I planned to have the hat sitting on the card but even as tiny as it is, it looked out of place so I changed the card and kept the hat as a little accessory.
So now that it was separate, I needed a hat box. I must admit that I cheated and found something online that I could use as a pattern although I did alter it slightly. If I make it again, I will take the time to draw my own pattern because this one was ever so slightly off square - shows you how picky I can be:)
The box bottom and top were cut from some card stock from a DCWV pack called The Far East and glued together with double sided tape. I added some lace around the outside of the lid and a wonderful filigree medallion to the top to which I added a sparkly deco metal sticker from Making Memories.
I worked on the card next and got so carried away I forgot to take photos at every step but I can tell you how I did it. First I grabbed some Bazzill card stock to make the card blank with and then tackled the background. I coated a piece of card stock with Tattered Rose Distress Stain and once it was dry I added some swipes of Weathered Wood Distress Ink. Then I stamped the cities, which were in a stamp set from Stampabilities using Black Archival Ink and used my scissors to distress it.
I made the flourishes with a Spellbinders die from some copper card stock from DCWV. Next came the lovely venise lace with a row of blue pearls from Recollections added. The focal image came next and once it was printed, I tore around it and then inked it with Weathered Wood Distress Ink. The flower was made from the same paper as the hat box using the Tim Holtz Tattered Florals die and I added a clear gem to the centre.
The gloves came next. I created a pattern and then traced it onto some white on white card stock that was in my scraps. Then I inked it with the Weathered Wood, added a little lace and some more pearls. I think next time I would make the lace go the other direction.
I found this image of the shoes in the New York Public Library's digital collection so I just printed two of them, cut them out and added some teeny pearls where the buttons would have been. Finally I added another filigree medallion topped with a deco metallic sticker to the upper corner.
The following products came from The Funkie Junkie Boutique: