Saturday, November 9, 2013

Step X Step - Life is Good

Hello and welome to today's Step X Step ! It's Sue here and I'm sharing the details of my DT project from Wednesday of this week. 

I started by cutting a piece of cardboard down to slightly bigger than A5. Then, using my pokey tool to help, I peeled back the top layer in different areas around the cardboard.

I then used acrylic paint to age the cardboard, but I didn't bother about the centre as I knew it would be covered up.

I used a piece of paper from the Tim Holtz Lost and Found pack, tore the edges and then gave it a wash with some watered down, cream acrylic paint. I still wanted to see some of the detail from the paper, which is why it's best to water down the paint.

I then glued 2 pieces of cardboard together and used the Cabinet die to cut out the frame. To cut out the inner shape I used the mini Cabinet Die. I didn't discard the centre piece as I knew it would come in handy for later in the project.

I painted the frame with cream acrylic paint, added a coat of Crackle Glaze then a dark brown coat of acrylic paint. To distress it even further I used a sanding block and rubbed around the edges.

I painted the centre piece from the frame  with cream acrylic paint then used Watering Can Archival ink and stamped the pumpkin from the Artistic Outpost Gothic 31 set. I then masked it off and stamped a second pumpkin and some grasses. The pumpkins have then been painted with acrylic paint. I stamped a third pumpkin onto some watercolour paper, painted it and cut it out and stuck it to the frame (which you'll see in a later photo).

For the die cuts around the frame I painted some white card with the colours I wanted to use. I do this quite often if I don't have the exact colour of card I want.

I used the Autumn Gatherings strip die and cut out lots of different shapes using the painted card. To neaten the edges I rubbed some Distress Inks over the shapes.

I stamped the tractor onto the background paper using Potting Soil Archival ink and also stamped some script.The sentiment is from the Tim Holtz Simple Sayings set and I've stamped it using Potting Soil Archival ink.

I arranged the die cuts around the frame and also added the extra pumpkin. I found a small butterfly in my stash, so painted it with acrylic paint and added some liquid dots down the centre.

The gorgeous Filigree metal embellishment is one of the beautiful pieces that Linda sells in The Funkie Junkie Boutique. The buttons are coconut shell buttons, again Linda sells these in her shop. The checkered piece you can see behind the Filigree embellishment is masking tape that I've stamped with one of the Tim Holtz Mixed Media stamps.

This is what the finished piece looks like ! I hope you've enjoyed today's step x step and remember you still have time to join in with the current challenge of Thanksgiving ! 


  1. I love what you did with this project! The frame is beautiful and very vintage looking. This really captures the feel of the season.

  2. Gorgeous. There is so much I love about the project! I adore the corrugated background and the tractor and weather vane. But your pumpkins are spectacular!!!!! They are beautifully stamped on the mini cabinet die cut and I love the idea of have an extra cut out for the frame :) Great idea to paint cardstock when you don't have the color you want for a die cut. Thanks so much Sue for the Step X Step. Soooo inspired by it. -- Mary Elizabeth