Hello and welcome to today's Step x Step ! It's Sue here and today I'm sharing a project that includes some experimentation with the Prima Sculpture Medium. I have been intrigued by the recent popularity of creating projects which include using products that make fabric go hard, so thought this would be a good opportunity to have a dabble !
I have one or two notebooks that I've decorated in the past and they are now in need of a new lease of life, so I started by removing the cover from this little book.
To neaten everything up I covered the book with some Tim Holtz Tissue Wrap and coated it with Glue 'n' Seal. Not knowing what I was going to do next it's always wise to coat paper like this as it protects it from the moisture of paints etc.
The Sculpture Medum takes a while to dry and I needed the fabric set hard so the next job was to soak some Petaloo Burlap flowers in the medium.
I made different size, wire circles by wrapping the wire around my fingers then pushing the still wet flowers into them so they would dry in this shape.
The fabric I've used is a light gauze and I've soaked it in the Sculpture Medium then positioned it on the front of the book, poured on a little more and sprinkled Art Stones and Mini Art Stones over it.
I pushed the flowers out of their wire circles and glued them into place, I also decided that the wire circles looked useful so used them too !
Once everything was dry I gave it a coat of Prima Art Alchemny Light Patina acrylic paint.
While the Light Patina was still I wet I used Lime Peel, blending it around the edges of the fabric.
Now to start adding some depth, Deep Waters is a beautiful deep blue and using it while the previous layers are still wet lets it blend in beautifully.
I used Blackberry to add even more depth, this colour is perfect for shadows as it's not as definite as using black.
Time to soften everything and Silver is a great colour for this, I just brushed it lightly over the texture.
I paid particular attention to the Art Stones and centres of the larger flowers while using the Silver.
I debated whether or not to add some words but I rather liked the finished project without.
From this angle you can see how the fabric has shaped itself.
Just for completeness here's a shot of the back cover which I've painted with the same acrylic paints and used my finger to blend them together with a drop of water.
I hope you've enjoyed today's step x step, the Sculpture Medium is definitely something that I will be doing alot more with !