Thursday, May 24, 2018

Guest Designer - Carol Lee

It is time to welcome our Guest Designer for the Layers of Lace challenge. Please say hello to Carol Lee who was the overall top pick for the 'Elegant Jewels' challenge. Carol can be found on her blog, CarolinaSweetLee but more often on her Instagram page.


I am a Carolina girl. Raised in the upstate of SC, left and moved back here years ago. I have lived on both coast of the US. Went to College in Charleston,SC and stayed for many years, lived in San Diego and San Francisco CA, both for a short spell. Blessed to have had the opportunity to see far away places and love seeing how other cultures live. I have a 30 year old daughter and no 4 legged children. I work full time in the Medical field and my Art is my HAPPY! I see the little things in life and love to capture life in photos on my iPhone. I started card making with Stampin’ Up and was a demonstrator for many years. Love to upcycle and I am always bringing home treasures discarded by others. I enjoy using ephemera on my cards and in my mixed media art. I love most things Tim Holtz. I am blessed to have wonderful artsy friends that live close and other online friends that I hope to meet one day.


My imagination started flowing with ideas when I read that I would be using Lace in my design. I love lace... mostly a bit here and a bit there. I love to add to my projects that little touch of lace. When I visit far away places I often buy lace to display in my home. Where have you added lace to your life and in your art. Look around and it is probably more than you think.

A couple a years ago my art friends and I had a girls weekend in the NC Smoky Mountains and we made art flags. Lovely weekend with friends. We started with a 7x11 piece of canvas. I used some watered down patina paints and inked the canvas until I got the background I liked. We transferred images using images printed on the rough side of transparency film sheets. Paint a thin layer of thick gel medium on a piece of muslin a little larger than the image. I usually apply in both directions but not too much.Then take your transfer and put rough side down. Rub with a spoon good until image transfers.You can let sit then rub again in 5 minutes. Be gentle because too much pressure will make the image bleed. Play with this technique until it works for you. Love this process. I used the birds nest for my flag.


I layered fabric and lace until I got the look I wanted then sewed the layers together.


I added some broken necklace beads and beaded wire at the top. I love pearls added to pretty much anything. Then I added a few things from nature that I found outside our mountain house.


The stick, dried flowers and the mica I found outside. I used a piece of mica on my flag and little pieces in the bottle hanging from the top. I added the dried flowers on both sides of the stick to add that little bit of nature.


Then I added the music and a few of Tim Holtz this and that. I have this hanging in my living room which makes me think of my artsy friends and our journey and fun together. The ladies I went with made some beautiful flags as well. Planning a project when you have time with friends always adds joy and fellowship to your memories.

Thanks again for the pleasure of being your guest artist. Feel free to ask any questions.

* * *
Carol has created a lovely collage that embraces nature in a very vintage way. We invite you to share your lace project with us and since the Layers of Lace challenge runs until June 5th at 11:55 pm EST, you have lots of time to create. You can find the challenge HERE - we always love seeing what you make.

For more inspiration come back to visit on Saturday when one of the Design Team members will have a Saturday Showcase for you and then the Funkie side of the team will be here next Wednesday with their lace inspiration.

10 comments:

  1. Carol Lee, what a great introduction! Your upcycled works are incredible. And that method of transferring an image is very impressive as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy, love to do transfers. 💕

      Delete
  2. WOW Carol!!! This is totally wonderful!!! Love the layers of lace, the addition of the jewels and of course your clever idea for creating a bespoke piece of fabric art. Thank you for sharing this with us at Frilly and Funkie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This art flag is a gorgeous example for incorporating lace into a project! I really like how you have used the nest transfer, it works wonderfully with the natural elements, such a beautiful piece and truly inspiring! I hope that I can make time to join the challenge! Thanks so much for sharing about yourself and all the creative details!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann... you inspire me as well. 💕

      Delete
  4. Beautiful Art Flag! Love this idea and now I am inspired to try this out! Gorgeous layers of beauty. Thanks for joining us as a guest designer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the touches of lace, pearls and natural objects on your art flag! That birds nest transfer is fabulous! It seems I remember trying this technique one time, and didn't have nearly the stunning results you've gotten here! Bravo! Great to read a little bit more about you, and I'm blessed to have met you in Columbia earlier this year. You are one talented lady! Thank you so much for being our Guest Designer! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol, this is absolutely gorgeous and I hope you hang it in your downstairs bathroom. :) What amazing layers and the wooden hanger is oh so amazing! Love how you used the wired pearls and the gorgeous nest image. So great to have you join us! Big hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful make Carol. Loving all those wonderful layers and the gorgeous lace for Autumn's fab challenge

    TFS Annie x

    ReplyDelete