Thursday, June 7, 2018

Guest Designer - Jan Hobbins

Please say hello and give a warm welcome to the Guest Designer for our Letter Perfect challenge, Jan Hobbins. Jan was the Design Team's top pick from the Neutral Point of View challenge and can be found with her fabulous creations on her blog, In My Own Imagination.


Hello everyone! I’m so excited and honored to be a guest designer for the latest challenge, Letter Perfect. I’ve been an avid crafter, sewer and artist my whole life, but discovered scrapbooking when I went to work in my sister’s scrapbook store 13 years ago. I’ve been addicted ever since! Creating for Sizzix’s Design Team and Tim Holtz has developed a love for using metal dies in most of my paper crafting projects. I’ve used a few of my favourites in this project. My style is mostly vintage, love that distressed look! Hope you enjoy my “Letter Perfect” project!


Letter or word dies are my go to dies for layouts, cards, or just about any creation. I love the idea that I can create the exact word or phrase in any colour or texture to match my project. The Tim Holtz Daily Words Block Thinlits Die (61180) is perfect for creating an interesting background. I’ve used acrylic paint to add depth and a vintage feel to my die-cut background. Using a lightly painted Tim Holtz Mini Framed Panel for my base, I added the background, and embellishments.


To create my background, I used a piece of thin chipboard or something to withstand painting with acrylic paints. My chosen words were placed to fit within my border and taped temporarily for die-cutting. The large negative piece is used, along with the little centers of the D, B, A and R’s. This piece was glued on top of another solid piece of chipboard of the same size. To get that vintage painted look, I started off painting the whole piece with black gesso, then adding a layer of colour, lightly wiping it with a baby wipe a few minutes later before it dried. Repeat for each colour. A more detailed look at this procedure is on my blog.


My hearts were die-cut using Sizzix’s Heartfelt Bigz die and thick chipboard. There’s 11 different sizes on this die. I covered a larger one with Clipping Stickers, one with a photo cut out from a Found Relatives card, and the backside of the same card, the rest were painted. Remnant Rubs were added to the red heart. Distress the edges with ink or paint.


To finish off my frame, I added in die-cut foliage (Sizzix Wildflowers 660233) and a postage stamp (Sizzix Labels 660060) using patterned paper that was tinted with Distress Sprays. Tim Holtz Mini Gears and a Gadget gear, Ephemera clock, game spinner were added also. My quote is a Tim Holtz Small Talk Occasion sticker with a piece of chipboard cut to fit, adhered to the back.

For more details and photos of my project, pop over to my blog! Hope I’ve inspired you to use those word or letter dies for a creative background!

Jan

* * *
As Jan indicated, there are more details about her fabulous project on her blog, so pop on over and check them out. Be sure to come back and share your Letter Perfect creation. You can find the challenge HERE and you have lots of time to enter as the challenge runs until 11:55 pm EST on Tuesday, June 19th.

This Saturday one of our designers will have an inspiring Saturday Showcase for you so be sure to check that out, and then next Wednesday the rest of the Design Team will be here with their 'Letter Perfect' creations so you won't want to miss that.

11 comments:

  1. Oh WOW Jan!!! I need to see more of your tutorial for creating this as it is simply gorgeous!!! Thank you so much for sharing your creative genius with us at Frilly and Funkie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this project. So much inspiration on so many uses of great products.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a wonderful vignette! I love the vintage feel, the wonderful thought that went into the design and that sweet little cluster on the left hand side. Thanks so much for being our Guest Designer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Wonderful layered background and the hearts with the sentiments are fabulous! Thanks for joining us as a guest designer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely Gorgeous project! I love that awesome background you created!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such an incredible panel you have created. I love the look that you created with the cutout words in the background. What a perfect interpretation for the challenge. I look forward to seeing even more details on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome project, I love the words background!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jan, I can't tell you enough how much I love this project! The colors and design really speak to me. I love this creative use of the word dies, which I have tons of and can't wait to try my own version. It is such a joy to have you as our guest, thank you! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  9. It happens eeeevery time; I pass up a die or die set thinking "Now, how OFTEN am I gonna use THAT?" because I simply don't forsee it until...
    a fantastic looking creation like this hits me upside the head as if saying "Duh! Who said U only had to use 1 word at a time, or one size of hearts?!"
    Then, I sheepishly *mumble-mumble-mumble* back into my Tim Holtz App to add on to my Alterations/thinlets Wish List.
    Frankly speaking to ALL U Designers: my ChiefHubby says he's beginning to hatchu all....so does his WALLET. hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jan, what a vintage masterpiece! I'm so impressed with your creative use of those dies and Clippings Stickers! Thank you so much for being our special Guest Designer and for your creative take on my 'Letter Perfect' theme! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for having me as a guest designer! Loved creating for this challenge. Thank you for the wonderful comments everyone, so happy I've inspired others to use those dies in a different way. Hugs, Jan

    ReplyDelete