Friday, April 12, 2024

Suzz's Neutral Flowers

Hi! Suzz here!  I am loving the challenge this time to  highlight flowers!   Spring is here and the flowers are just starting to bloom by me.   I decided to combine the flowers with another challenge of using my new watercolor pencils from Tim in Scorched Timber, Jet Black and Picket Fence.  My goal was to use the neutral colors on the flowers and only use other colors around the flowers.


I love the Stampers Anonymous Tim Holtz Floral Trims flowers.  They let you color using various mediums with the beautifully drawn outlined flowers. 

For my first card I cut out a circular image that I stamped using a gray distress oxide ink. I was hoping to highlight the image using watercolor pencils and shading and having the stamped image blend in for a colorless outline.

Next  I used the scorched timber to add a touch of color around the petals of the flower and the green watercolor pencil in the leaves.  I then used a water brush to soften the edges of coloring. I came back with a yellow watercolor pencil to add a touch of yellow to the center of the flowers.  I used the water brush to blend that and soften the edges.

When I was done coloring, I decided to come back with the black watercolor pencil and add the lines again to the image to really make it pop.  I also shaded around the outside edges of the images with a hint of gray and blended with the water brush. 

To make the colors more intense, I sponged the entire surface with Versamark ink and then covered it with clear embossing powder. I heat set the embossing powder. Sometimes this process will  take two coats to get a glossy finish. 

The image was then mounted on several circles before placing it on a black card stock base and adding the coordinating butterfly and stamped sentiment. 

For my next experiment, I stamped the floral image with black archival ink on white card stock.


I shaded and blended with a water brush inside the flowers using the black watercolor pencil. I added a bit more shading with the brown watercolor pencil.  Blending each time with the water brush.  I came back and added a  heavier shading of black around the inside of the image.  

For the leaves I used the green watercolor pencils and colored around the inside and blended with the water brush.  

Next I decided to bring in pink around the outside of the flowers and a golden brown around the leaves.  I colored on the outside of the lines and then used a water brush to soften the edges and blend the color out. 

I finished the image with a black card stock base and a stamped sentiment. 

I really wanted to use the white watercolor pencil and I tried a few different ideas and this was the one that worked most successfully.  I started with stamping the image using Versamark and clear embossing powder to create an outline of the image on black card stock.

After that I took the white watercolor pencil and shaded and blended the white inside the flower.  This made the white disappear into the black card stock.  I came back and colored again with more pressure and further out to add more shading.  I didn't use the water brush as I wanted the white to pop off the black background in my second round of coloring.
To make the flowers really pop from the background I came back with a white gel pen and outlined the image to make is move and stand out.

Then the sentiment was stamped with Versamark watermark and heat embossed with white embossing powder.  I mounted the image on white and then a black card base. 

Not your typical spring flowers but I had fun exploring the use of white, black and browns with the flowers. 

Suzz

Products: 

No comments:

Post a Comment