Friday, April 20, 2012

FRIDAY FOCUS - Shrink Plastic and Friends!

This week's Friday Focus discounted product is Ranger Shrink Plastic, but we also wanted to include several other products Terry is highlighting here in the 15% off discount. Check out Friday Focus at the Funkie Junkie Boutique.  If by chance a Friday Focus item is sold out, please email Linda at thefunkiejunkie.blogspot.com for a raincheck coupon.  

Terry here to welcome you to this week's Friday Focus and the product being showcased is "Shrink Plastic."  To watch an item shrink and become a miniature of itself is absolutely amazing!  The first time I played with shrink plastic, I was not happy with the results.  The more you play with this amazing material, the more you will love its properties and results!  Now here are a few of the items I shrunk for this week's Friday Focus and I hope this will inspire you to add a new layer of excitement to your creations!
Above are the after shrinking pictures, which each piece has been cut, colored and then shrunk.  How cool is that?  You can make charms, earrings, embellishments and just let your imagination go wild!  I have shrunk bits and pieces, but never did it in an embossing folder.  Love the end result!  You can use all sorts of dies, punches and can stamp images and then cut with scissors.
This is the before picture and will give you an idea about the size difference!  The embossing folder actually shrunk down to a 1 3/4" x 2 1/4 " piece. 
Inked and Embossed
For the Textured Fade, I used my paper cutter to cut the Shrink Plastic to size.  Scissors are just fine!  I then applied alcohol inks to one side and let it dry just a little, this was then placed in the folder for embossing.  I made sure that the side of the embossed panel I would highlight, was not the alcohol inked side.  Some inks are reactive with other inks, so I try to keep them separated.  Plus if you clean up an area with unwanted ink, you would not want to remove the alcohol ink.
Closed pen is used to hold down folder
Once embossed, I highlighted the raised areas with black Archival ink.  Placed this into my toaster oven preheated at 325 degrees, on the metal tray covered with a piece of brown paper grocery bag (cut to fit with a little corner lip for lifting) with a piece of parchment paper on that.   Follow the instructions, but realize that all ovens and cuts can vary.  I watch and while the piece is curling up, don't panic.  Once it uncurls, it will begin to lay flat.  After it lays flat, I give it another 15 or more seconds in the oven.  Take it out, leaving it on the parchment paper, lay it on a flat surface and cover with another piece of parchment and then apply gentle pressure with a flat object to ensure it lays flat for a few seconds.  I use my Big Shot adaptor plate.  The little crown was my practice piece I cut from a scrap piece of shrink plastic to see how it would emboss.  I always have a cotton applicator around and dip the point in rubbing alcohol to remove any excess ink that landed where I don't want it!
Dark
Lightened
Even after you bake the shrink plastic, if you think the alcohol inks are too dark, you can add some blending solution to an applicator and lift off color.  That is another reason to keep your stamping or highlighting on the opposite side.  You can see I lightened my piece after baking.
Top two just waiting for thread
The heart and butterfly were cut from the mover and shapers die, colored with alcohol inks.  I decided to make a few buttons, so punched some holes prior to baking.  Used a circle punch for the round buttons, which were stamped.  The blue button was lightly sanded with a fine sanding block and inked with Broken China.
The Bird and Branch - oh I do love this die, was colored with alcohol inks using a little paintbrush.  On the backside, I added more color with my Sharpie markers.  This is going on an upcoming challenge piece right here! 

Things to know!  Color will intensify when shrunk, so keep that in mind.  Practice first!  Some cuts are more detailed, so you may have to separate some of the pieces that may stick together.  When I baked the little bird and branch, two of the branches and the birdie wanted to unite.  I took a metal skewer and separated them and then placed them back into the oven for a few seconds.  Took them out of the oven and then proceeded to flatten.  Many pieces flatten just fine, but some need a little help, so I just do it.  You can use a regular home oven or heat tool.  When using the heat tool, I use that metal skewer to gently hold down the piece while heating, but it will leave a little mark.  I also don't hold the gun too closely, but you will need to figure out what works best for you.  Results will vary.  Archival is waterproof and permanent, but I find that even after going through the baking process, it can smear, so I give a quick spray with Krylon Matt Sealer after baking.   I also use Stazon ink, but actually like the coverage better with Archival. 
Since I was at it with samples, I decided to do an entire new piece in brown inks for my Grandson's 21st birthday.  The heart and key were inked with Espresso alcohol inks.  More details are on my blog if interested. 
 Die cut, alcohol ink and masking
Background stamp, hearts in bottle
Above are a few previous projects that I had made with Shrink Plastic.  Give this amazing product a chance and you will find yourself creating all sorts of goodies.  Hope you enjoyed this little Friday Focus and if you have any questions, just ask!   Shrink Plastic along with some other goodies used in this week's Friday Focus are 15% off at The Funkie Junkie Boutique, so stop over and have a visit.  Oh and all sales over $75 through the month of April will have the shipping costs slip 50/50, so that is quite a deal!


40 comments:

  1. Terry, What a brilliant tutorial. Thank-You so much. Hugs from Scotland. Rita xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do appreciate your kind words! Hugs from California!

      Delete
  2. Just love all your shrink plastic pieces! Have never done an embossing folder before, but love it! Thanks for all the tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why I do thank you, Pam! Looking forward to seeing what you do!

      Delete
  3. I have used it before and loved it, but never thought to use an embossing folder with it. I love your tag within a tag and your other projects are also stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really sensational piece of work, Terry! I just love all your wonderful shrunken pieces - they are so cool and I can't wait to play!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun, Linda! And thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  5. This is a great tutorial Terry! I love all the gorgeous pieces you made and your instructions are very clear. So glad yo invited me over to see it! ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you a bunch, Diane! Glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  6. What a Fabulous tutorial, I've used shrink plastic before but never thought to use it with a embossing folder or a die cut. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks!
    hugs Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn, not sure about the teaching an old dog, but playing with SP is sure fun! Hugs, GF!

      Delete
  7. Oooh, I love this, I always thought that shrinking would just take all the texture away, so never bothered to try it. So glad you did! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy! Always appreciate your sweetness!

      Delete
  8. That is great! I wouldn't have thought to use the SP in an embossing folder. Some SP has a frosted side so you can run it through an ink jet printer. I've also used Prismacolor colored pencils on that type and it really looks good when it shrinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now Lisa, you have given me more ideas! Thank you!

      Delete
  9. Great tutorial, Terry. I use a Toaster Oven to do my plastic. Tip; Dust oven tray w/ your "Embossing Buddy", before baking. Won't stick or roll up. TFS!
    Hugs Vada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Miss, Vada, I will sure try the "embossing buddy." Anything that sames time is a great idea! Hugs to you!

      Delete
  10. A lovely tag and a great tutorial, Terry.
    I also wouldn't have thought of embossing the SP. I find shrinking with a heat gun very scary, lol, and last time I used it I did it in the oven which was less scary :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with using an oven over the heat tool! Although I think the heat tool that Tim Holtz uses is less forceful and the SP does not fly all over! Thank you so much!

      Delete
  11. Terrific tag and tutorial Terry. Have never tried shrink plastic although I have some, will definitely give it a go after seeing your wonderful creations. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Netty, I am holding you to that and expect to see some shrinky activity at your blog! Hugs!

      Delete
  12. Fantastic tutorial Terry ! I'd never thought of using a texture fade on shrink plastic ! Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my DT sister! It just kind of popped into my little brain!

      Delete
  13. Love the idea of the texture fade...need to try that...you are a genius!!! Great tut!!! Beautiful projects!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anita, you are given me a big head! Thank you lots!

      Delete
  14. Fabulous project- wow- how cool is the idea of using an embossing folder with shrink plastic- you are genius!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelly, you are just too kind and I do thank you! So are you going to play??

      Delete
  15. this is so very cool, thanks so much for sharing!

    enjoy *~*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Teresa! I did have a good time and all while being nervous!

      Delete
  16. Wow Terry what a great tutorial thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome, Lisa! It was fun to put together!

      Delete
  17. Oh, Terry, I'm afraid I'll have to blame you for why I won't be leaving the house tomorrow... I can't wait to play with shrink plastic and embossing folders! This was THE COOLEST TUTE I've ever seen on shrink plastic. Rock on, girl! Off to see your blog for more....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that is a very nice compliment, Marjie! You know I will be wanting to see what you come up with. I wonder if Dylusions will cover?? Maybe if sanded first! You go girl!

      Delete
  18. Terry, that's a wonderful tutorial - thanks so much. Never used shrinked plastic in an embossing folder - will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amazing tutorial terry, I use shrink plastic a lot, but never would have considered using an embossing folder with it. Thank you for stretching this material even further for me! I love your samples, Judith xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm another one who would have never thought of using an embossing folder with shrink and I'm certainly going to try it. You have inspired me to create today and that is an amazing thing Terry! Fantastic tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great tutorial Terry. I'm among the many that didn't realize you could use an embossing folder. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fantastic project!!!! I have that embossing folder. Now I want to go give it a try. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete