Saturday, April 28, 2012

Saturday StepXStep: Enameled Butterflies

Linda Coughlin here welcoming you back to another Saturday StepXStep.  I have been playing with butterflies this entire week so I thought I would finish up and try to break my butterfly addiction with after this post.  Earlier this week, I had a great time playing with Tim Holtz's Faux Patina technique so I decided to play around with alcohol inks and UTEE to see how I could combine them.
I made two butterflies using different substrata - the one on the right is Ranger Foil Tape Sheet and the other is plain white card stock.  I die cut the butterflies with an old Cuttlebug die and ran them both through the Bubble and Honeycomb Texture Fade.  
Distress ink was applied direct to paper
and Antique Linen Distress Embossing Powder was applied.
Next I applied a few drops of Ginger Alcohol Ink to my felt applicator and applied the ink over the high points on the butterflies.
Because I was only doing a little work with the alcohol ink, I was able to get double duty out of the felt pad (I'm cheap!).  
I added a few drops of Snowcap Mixative and then several drops of Watermelon alcohol ink to the other half of the felt pad and applied it to my butterflies.
Next, more embossing ink was added direct to paper and the butterfly was coated with Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel (UTEE) and a heat gun was used to melt the UTEE onto the butterfly.
A second coat of UTEE was applied.
It's not necessary to add a second coat of UTEE and actually it fills in more of the texture left by the Texture Fade so it's up to you whether you want to apply a second coat.  NOTE:  A Melting Pot with liquified UTEE could also have been used to apply the UTEE to the butterfly.  
There you have it - enameled butterflies to use on any project you wish.  I used mine on a Mother's Day card I made for my DT sample over at Our Creative Corner this week.  
Here are the products used for this StepXStep that can be purchased at The Funkie Junkie Boutique.

12 comments:

  1. Wow Linda, your butterflies are gorgeous and that it a great technique, thank you so much for sharing it. Love your card too. Regards, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the tutorial Linda :) lainey x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tute! I love how the embossing folder adds so much texture and interest to the butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab tutorial Linda, love the embossing folder texture and the enamelling is really effective !
    Sue C
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for a great tutorial!!!!
    sandy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Linda
    I never thought of combining AI with distress powder/inks, it has a wonderful finish, I need to play more often, thank you for a very informative tutorial.
    Smiles:)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have UTEE I never opened and was going to ask you what to do with it! Voila - my question is answered. I'm going to enamel everything, I love the finish! Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great tut, Linda.
    I have made enamelled flowers in the past and now I will be doing the same with butterflies, lol.
    I have a similar die as the one you used.
    Your card is beautiful :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful tutorial! I just love the effect of embossing folders and the UTEE! Beautiful Butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great technique. Thx for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy looking butterflies!!! Thanks for the tut!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooooh...I love these. Gonna go give it a try!!

    ReplyDelete