Thursday, May 25, 2017

Guest Designer - Jennie Atkinson

It is time welcome our Guest Designer for the 'Something Old' challenge. Please say hello to Jennie Atkinson, a familiar face who often enters her wonderful creations in our challenges. Jennie's blog is Live the Dream and she won this Guest Designer spot by being the Design Team's favourite from the 'April Showers' challenge.


It is always a treat to be here as a guest designer with Frilly and Funkie - one of my favourite places!

Over the years I have learnt so much from the DT - their projects and in particular the step by steps. This has been really important for me living on a remote Scottish Island in that I don’t get to see products or other crafters very often! Living in Shetland however can be very exciting - not least the weather, but the scenery and wildlife are stunning too. I spend at least some time every day in my craft room but also enjoy textiles (spinning wool and knitting). My crafting style is vintage shabby and more on the soft side of the colour spectrum but for this challenge I thought I would be a bit bolder, especially as it was my very colourful April Showers project which won the April challenge!

Thank you to Linda and everyone here at Frilly and Funkie for inviting me to share a project for this great challenge.




My “something old” is this little spoon I found in a charity shop and which has caught my attention a few times for a project, but it finally made it!


The tag is actually an old button card and it took the gesso and texture paste really well. This allowed me to add a number of different types of embellishments which were then “neutralised” with gesso. Once dry I had great fun adding PaperArtsy Infusions (A Bit Jaded) with lots of water, along with some text stamping in the spaces. I just love the watery nature of the Infusions and the way they “puddle” in the texture and around the embellishments.


I find the Infusions work really well with the new Distress Oxides, so Vintage Photo was blended around the edges and spritzed very carefully with water in order not to lose the effect of the Infusions.

* * *
Jennie has included a few step by steps in her blog post, so do hop on over if you would like to see more. Once you have checked her project out come on back and show us your 'Something Old' creation. The challenge can be found here and is open until 11:55 pm on June 6th.

7 comments:

  1. Oh Jennie this is absolutely gorgeous!!! I love the layering of elements and the way you subtly highlight and colour them all in such a beautifully blended way. Thank you so much for sharing this with us xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennie, your tag is stunning! I loved reading the tutorial on your blog too, seeing how you brought this wonderful piece of art together! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. An old button card?! How amazing Jennie! This is truly wonderful and the spoon is a FABULOUS focal point! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an amazing use of an old button card and spoon! Jennie has made a fabulous design and her tutorial on her blog is filled with inspiration! Just gorgeous and a wonderful Guest Designer! Well done, Jennie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! Lovely mix of vintage finds with beautiful textures. Thanks for guest designing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful creation using your vintage spoon Jennie! Congrats on being the guest DT here today! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete