Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Lyla's Fave Tim Holtz Products

   It's time again for some Inspiration Ave news! For the next two weeks, The Funkie Junkie Boutique Design Team is showing off their favorite Tim Holtz products of 2023 - so far! Tim usually comes out with more new items, especially as Fall approaches. This lull in the release cycle gives us a chance to go back and play with the things we barely had time to do more than just one project with. Personally, I love these "re-dos" because it gives me a chance to try out that design that popped into my head while crafting the one that made it to posting. Once again; I've got more than one fave product and I can't wait to show you what I did this time with it! Scroll down with me, and we'll look together!



From the time I saw the new TH The Inspector Stamp Set, I knew it was going to be a fave of mine!  The intricate detailing of this stamp is sooo good! And then, after I opened it up and saw the 'bus driver's cap' and the 5-bugle insignia, I just about swooned: those belong to a FIREFIGHTER! The other new fave product: Etcetera Facades! I'm excited to use any of the Etcetera items, and building up layers is always so FUN! These thickboards are great for making a project that will be used for home decor, or gifts; they are sturdy and long-lasting - holding up like purchased decor.

 
While we're going over products, here's a handy list of LINKS:




The first thing I did was to make a background for both sides of the Etcetera Tag. I keep heavy duty foil in my studio and it's easy to use regular white cardstock with some matte ModPodge spread onto it (with some Glossy Accents squirted all over) and then lay the foil down, pressing it evenly. (I like to use my rolling pin for this part.) Don't wait - run it through your machine with whatever embossing folders you're using. For mine, I'm using an older plain Houndstooth embosser and also the newer Tim Holtz Industrious 3D Folder- one per side.


I did run each folder through twice - and a third time for that tiny part on the left top.


A Black Soot Distress Crayon run all over the edges of the Etcetera Tag, as well as all around the edges of the foil, gave this a used metal feeling - quite like the bumper of a real firetruck!


I wanted a faded-out type of old red, and the newest TH Distress Mica fit the bill. Yep- it's not just for Christmas anymore! I heat dried it, then repeated until I was satisfied.


Then I dry-brushed some Black Soot Distress Paint into the cracks and 'screws'. I re-heat dried in between each new layer of distressing.


Next- just to darken that red a bit- came some Distress Alcohol Ink in Ginger. Now, it looks like an old, red, crumpled metal.


I was playing around with some alcohol inks in blues and reds, and just happened to look over to where my Etcetera Facade was laying, and found this....it sure did resemble water spritzing onto a flame...


...so I decided to try it out on regular white cardstock.


It sure did take on the look I wanted! So I heat-dried it & edged it with some Distress Ink in Fired Brick and Chipped Saphire. After I heated, I resprayed a bit more and inked a bit more. I really LOVED the result I got, which comes in the end photos, of course.

Then the fun part: using my TH Stamping Platform to ink CHIEF INSPECTOR onto some new-to-me Alcohol Ink Dura-Lar. This was my first time using this kind of "plastic' and the difference from using this and a piece of plain plastic trash piece....AMAZING!! So clean and clear!


I dug up a piece of very old TH Grungepaper that had been die-cut long ago. It fit the theme of July 4th, so I put a scrap of foil/cardstock in between the pieces for a 'leather'- the kind that used to be used on the old longer helmets.  (They like to call it a 'lid' or part of their headgear.)

The resulting Tag is beyond AWESOME!

FRONT


The "51" is a nod to TV's original show on Paramedics and Firefighters, 'EMERGENCY!" and it turned out to be a huge part of my life- not just a show.


FRONT Perspective This gives you a view of the 5-Bugle Insignia that stands for the rank of Chief. I added an old TH Idea-ology Adornment- Star.

BACK

The map is from the TH Backdrops - burned all around the edges using a grill lighter.



Just plain old "rescue rope"... a LOT thinner than they really used back then! These days, rope is much better and not as prone to BURN!

BACK Perspective 

It's time to THANK YOU for taking the time to join me for another Inspiration Ave make!
The Funkie Junkie Boutique has all the newest Tim Holtz items that have been released in 2023, and we're patiently waiting on that last Distress Color yet to come!

Don't forget to come back for more inspiration with Tim Holtz favorites
from my fabulous Design TeamMates!

Have a FUN FOURTH OF JULY!
 
Stay Safe &
HAPPY BLOGGING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment