Friday, June 23, 2023

Suzz's Multiple Coloring Techniques

Hi! Suzz here! I love coloring and the new Stampers Anonymous Floral Trims gave me the chance to play around with coloring in the flowers.  I know I have shared before the various ways to color stamps but I thought it would be fun to create a series of tags using the same stamp, layout and color scheme but vary the mediums. 

I spent some time stamping the image on different paper types using the same archival ink.  I then pulled out my copic markers, watercolor markers, 2 types of watercolor pencils and my distress ink pads.  I had on hand my water brushes to use for the various mediums.

The first tag using the watercolor markers.  A good stamping friend taught me her method of coloring the images watercolor marker and I have to admit it is one of my favorite techniques.

I used watercolor paper for this image and stamped the image with archival ink.  Anything permanent and resistant to water is the important thing to remember with all of these painting/coloring techniques. 

To color this image I started with the darkest color in the middle and then used the waterbrush to spread the color outwards.  I repeated to get the shading where needed.  Then I highlighted the center with a white gel pen.

On the next tag I used plain cardstock. (The watercolor cardstock would have worked just as well or even better.)

This was painted with distress inks smeared on the acrylic mat and then the ink was picked up on the waterbrush and painted over the surface.  I repeated with multiple colors to get more of a softer muted effect. 

For the next image I used watercolor pencils.  I love using pencils as you can control the placement and intensity of the colors when first applied.

This was stamped on white cardstock.  It would also work well on the watercolor paper.  The watercolor paper usually has more texture and can sometimes cause the stamp to ink as clearly.  I like to use the plain cardstock unless I need more water on the medium.  

I colored the areas I wanted to shade in and then used the waterbrush to soften and blend the shading.  I will wait until it dries and then come back in with more shading to get a deeper color in the shaded areas.  

I had a new set of Ranger Distress Watercolor Pencils and I used them on my next stamped image.  Again this is on white plain cardstock. 


The main difference on this image is I had less choices in my colors as I had limited pencils. But I used the same technique to shade in the areas of color and use the waterbrush to soften the edges.

For my last two tags I used Copic Markers to color the images.  There is a slight difference in the two images and it has to do with the cardstock.  The first one was a sheet of cardstock I found in my drawer and it is one that can be used for Copic markers but it didn't blend as well as I would have liked.

To get the movement you need to blend the colors you need a paper that will allow the ink to seep and blend.  I went out and purchased a special paper intended for Copic Markers and tried a second version which blended and mixed the colors much better.

I hope you enjoyed the tour of coloring with the new Floral Trims!

Suzz

Products: 

No comments:

Post a Comment