Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Lyla's Snow Day

 I'm excited to join The Funkie Junkie Boutique's Design Team for the first of 2024, once again! I'm leading off for our first TFJB Inspiration Ave theme of the year, "It's Cold Outside" and it's definitely a fitting theme for the entire USA this week! Most of the northern half will be getting covered by at least a couple of inches of snow, and the lower half (including my area) is going to see cold rain and storms blow through. What better idea than to cozy up in your craft space and join along with us for this?! I've got a really simple make to share with you, and after my post, my fellow Design Teammates will follow with theirs, so don't miss any of the next two weeks: pop back in OFTEN!

Let's get started!


I had a bunch of things still out from all the Christmas crafting, so I got to thinking about using up this Tim Holtz Dome I had picked up some time back.  I just never seemed to have an ideal use for it, but it came to my mind after seeing one of my DT mates use a similar one.

Let's get started with a List of LINKS to help you find what I used:

(I used an old set of Tiny Lights that were just plain lights- not colors.)




I wanted the base to be larger, as well as have the lights inside. I cut out matboard tracings for the bottom of the cork, layering some double-sticky foam inside for the light's switch to sit inside.


I poked a hole through the cork's new layers and covered all in a white cardstock. I then gave the Woodlands Tree a good cut-down and Distress Mica Spray in Juniper.


I strung the lights through and finished up sealing the bottom of the cork/layers, then wound the lights around and stuck the tree down into the hole with the lights. I then started to coat the base around the tree with some Snowfall Grit Paste.


I heat-dried as needed to keep the tree's color from getting onto the Snowfall Grit. You can see my hands got some of the tree's coloring onto the base, but this was going to get covered with a title later on, so I wasn't worried.


It was time to work on the SMALL Snowman. I chose the smaller because the larger was too large. Gave it some Foundry Wax...


...Distressed it with a few various Crayons, and then...


...changed my mind again and redid the Foundry Wax coat. After cooling the snowman (and finding his nose got too hot and bent it, lol), I gave him some blues in Distress Crayons (Chipped Saphire and Prize Ribbon). I figured he could keep the cute, little snubbed nose, too. I was finally satisfied!


I needed a sled... Confections worked for the sled's rails and a Foundry Adornment piece worked for the seat of the sled. Alcohol Ink shaded the Confections to a bluish for me.


What's sledding without snowballs??  Some Christmas Baubles worked for these. I added more Grit Paste where needed to build up the snow. Glossy Accents made great ice!!


The sign was made simply by cutting up a Baseboard piece and giving it some Distress Crayon (Vintage Photo) and then adding a pole from the Confections.


Wording pieced together from the Christmas Stickers made the Snow Day happen!

And here's what came from my crafting...



Tim's Christmas products were AWESOME in 2023 and perfect for Winter 2024!


Closeups following...






I added some Mica Flakes as well- it's a real SHAKER Snowglobe!



I'm overjoyed that you've stopped in to join me, once again, in this New Year!

Please, don't forget to come back in every couple of days for more TFJB Inspiration Ave

And be sure to get over to The Funkie Junkie Boutique because there's more Tim Holtz and great deals to come for 2024!

Until next time...

Stay Safe &
HAPPY BLOGGING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment