Thursday, March 30, 2017

Guest Designer - Maggi Harding

Please say hello and give a warm welcome to our Guest Designer for the Count Me In challenge.  Maggi Harding of Scrap, Travel & Bark was the Design Team's Top Pick for the Out of the Cold challenge.


Hi, I'm Maggi Harding and I am thrilled to be guest designing at the Frilly and Funkie Challenge Blog.

My style is all over the board as I do a little bit of everything, but two things I really love, are vintage styling and bright bold colors layered up. Paper art is an artistic adventure for me; I always ask myself, what can I create, how can I make this piece of paper come to life? I love the challenge of combining paper and medias to create a cohesive art piece. Paper art awakens my “inner artist” and satisfies the creative side of my brain that was long neglected during my career as a CPA. These days I am a happy retired, stay at home, crazy, paper loving scrap artist living with the loves of my life, my husband and my 2 standard poodles kids.


I am so thrilled to be guest designing for the Frilly and Funkie Challenge Blog today! The current challenge, "Count Me In" is right up my alley, because, before I retired, I was what is known as a number cruncher or a bean counter, LOL!! Yep, I am a retired CPA so I made my tag as a nod to my profession. The quote is fitting because after a long week at the office (especially during tax season) my art was my mental release and served to refocus my brain for the coming week.

I used the new Distress Oxide inks for the background of my tag. Believe it or not, the tag is actually a black tag. I love how the Oxide inks cover up dark colors! Once I was satisfied with the effect of the Distress Oxides, I used a crackle stencil to add some additional texture and then gave the entire tag a spritz of Lindy's Starburst Mist - Tibetan Poppy Teal.


I layered on some design paper from Graphic 45's Typography collection and added an old piece of newsprint behind the cut-apart that I popped up with a piece of cardboard. I thought it needed something else, so I splashed it with black paint. Finally, I like to add some "pretty" to my grunge so I popped on a couple of Petaloo blooms.

All that was left to do, was tie a fun bow at the top and that's it!

* * *
Pop over to Maggi's blog and check out the details of the fabulous tag and then come on back and share your creation with numbers. The Count Me In challenge runs until 11:55 pm EST on April 11th so you have lots of time to enter.

5 comments:

  1. WOW Maggi!!! I love the bright pop of colour, that gorgeous oxide background and all those lovely layers on your tag. And how serendipitous this challenge theme was so personal! Your choice of words is just so perfect. Thank you for joining us today and for sharing your talents xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an amazing tag! That Distress Oxide background is scrumptious! This is one of my all time fave collections from G45 and I love the way you e showcased it here! Thanks for being our guest designer and sharing your wonderful art with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is lovely to see Maggi here as Guest Designer, and what a treat to see this beautiful tag! I love your Oxide background, and the details on the tag are so fitting for your past profession! What a way to use your numbers! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful tag! I love the nod to your profession! Gorgeous layers and love the blue tones! Thanks for Guest Designing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Tag Maggi! Love the oxide background and the numbers along the bottom are so cool. Thanks for joining us as a Guest Designer.

    ReplyDelete