Saturday, March 18, 2017

Saturday Step by Step - Dwell in Possibility

Hi everyone and welcome! It's Jenny here with a fun tutorial for a framed picture based on the new Distress Oxides and Sizzix Cityscape dies.


I started with a Tim Holtz Framed Panel and having given it a base coat of black gesso, moved on to cover it in a patchy dry-brushed fashion first with Ground Espresso Distress Paint, then Frayed Burlap Distress Paint using my Collage Brush.


The layers continued with a lighter coat of Iced Spruce Distress Paint and finally Antique Linen Distress Paint.


I have an absolute love affair with the new Tim Holtz Paper collection 'Memoranda' and selected a piece from the back to cover the frame base; I went to the trouble of stitching around the paper patchwork before adding it with the Crazing Distress Collage Medium.


Once dry I added some Ground Espresso Distress Crayon into the crazing to emphasise it before adding a little Evergreen Bough Distress Paint to the frame to coordinate it further.


Having put the frame together and created the scene inside I realised it looked a little too bright and clean, so added a layer of Vintage Collage Medium over the frame edge and base. In hindsight it would have been much more sensible to do that at this stage in the process rather than waiting to the end - hence my reason for including it here!


Now I got to play with those new Distress Oxides. I smooshed the Iced Spruce pad onto my craft mat, spritzed it with a little water, mopped it up with two thirds of a sheet of Mixed Media Heavy Cardstock and dried it with my heat gun. That process was repeated using the Vintage Photo pad, after which I spritzed and dried the card to get a beautiful mottled look.


The card was die cut with the two Cityscape Skyline dies (you need one and a half of each to fit the length of the frame) and the building portions of the Cityscape Suburbia dies. I edged each one with Walnut Stain Distress Oxide using a blending tool before covering them with Distress Glaze to fix the colour in place. Having applied the first Skyline towards the top of the frame (the one with the thinner bottom edge) I layered the second over it using Ranger Black Adhesive Foam to add dimension.


To add even further dimension (and fit with our current challenge theme of using folds) I folded a strip of the mottled card to create foam tape supported mounds onto which I added the Suburbia buildings.


Using the final third of the Heavy Cardstock I created smaller coloured pieces using a combination of Vintage Photo Distress Oxide ink first with Fossilized Amber ink, then with Fired Brick ink, then with Faded Jeans ink and finally with Peeled Paint ink. As before I spritzed each with water to mottle them before adding a coat of Distress Micro Glaze.


With the main Suburbia building portions already cut I used these coloured pieces to cut the roofs, window frames, balconies, trees, washing etc, gluing them in place before adding the finished buildings to their mounts.


To finish I added words from the Metallic Quotations Stickers, supporting them with more of the Black Adhesive Foam. I also glued the new Mini Foundations on the corners of the frame. And with that my framed vintage scene was complete! Here are some close ups to show the details;





I hope you've enjoyed seeing one idea for using the new Distress Oxides and Cityscape dies. You'll find links to all the products used below, now available to order from The Funkie Junkie Boutique for a permanently discounted price.

Remember our current challenge 'You've Got to Know When to Fold 'em' runs for another week and we'd love to see your folded creations. I'll be back with the rest of the Funkie side of the Design Team next Wednesday to unveil our inspiration for you.

Until then have a great weekend, take care of yourselves and have fun!
Jenny xxx

70 comments:

  1. I like you love the oxides and love what you have created here - these dies are gorgeous and the piece you have created is certainly a happy place full of your gorgeous touches and the distress oxide magic!! I love it xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Trace - I'm so glad you liked and enjoyed it xx

      Delete
  2. Wow, wow, wow!! 😍😍😍😍
    This is simply stunning. Fantastic tutorial too. I bet u were in crafty heaven doing this xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Maria - I'm so glad you liked and enjoyed it xx

      Delete
  3. This is just AMAZING!! I love all the oxide layers.... absolutely stunning! Great work Jenny xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kaz - I'm so glad you liked and enjoyed it xx

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous Jenny, absolutely love how you added the folds and created dimension. The oxides look superb as does your happy place. Fantastic piece. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tracy - I'm so glad you like it xx

      Delete
  5. Oh my giddy aunt! This is soooo dreamy, Jenny! The color palette, the distressed finish on the frame, the wonderful dimension...I just adore every gorgeous detail. I would love to be inside your creative brain for an hour and just soak up loads of inspiration. Instead I will just gaze upon this beauty. So inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kathy - I'm not sure my creative brain is always the easiest place to be but you are welcome to step inside! Really glad you like it xx

      Delete
  6. What a masterpiece ! Jenny and such an inspired interpretation of the Challenge theme!
    WOW! Your best yet imho . Thanks for sharing the process x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Amanda - I'm so glad you like it xx

      Delete
  7. Spectacular. I love how the residential part of your cityscape is brighter than the high rise portion. I also love the clothesline - reminds me of New York and all the tenements you see in the movies with the line going to the building across the alley. I can just hear one Mom shouting across to another Mom or down to the street to get her child to come home. This piece has such life - no wonder you call it your happy place because I am sure that is where you were when you were creating it.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Cec - you nailed it with where I drew inspiration from for this and I sure was in a happy place, knee deep in Distress Oxides, beautiful paper and such fab die designs. I'm so glad you like it xx

      Delete
  8. WOW fantastic step by step and loving the depth and dimension! AWESOME!
    Hugs
    Linda xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Linda - so glad you like it and enjoyed the tutorial xx

      Delete
  9. SO very cool! I can't get enough of the oxides! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely incredible Jenny, your cityscape looks fabulous in the frame! It certainly looks much easier to used those wonderful coloured papers to cut them out instead of painting each one separately.... I will know for next time!! Superb work, love this so much!! Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Anne - you are right, die cutting from pre-coloured card is so much easier! I'm so glad you like it xx

      Delete
  11. Jenny I love it. The detail and color is just amazing. I can't stop looking at it. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sharon - I'm so glad you like it xx

      Delete
  12. This is such an amazing piece, Jenny! Your attention to detail is incredible! You do such a fantastic job with the Distress Oxides too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Susan - bless you for noticing the care I take with finishes - I'm so glad you like it xx

      Delete
  13. OMG!!! This canvas is jawdroppingly amazing!!! Fantastic design!!! I love it to bits!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Monika - I'm so glad you like it xx

      Delete
  14. My, my, my !!! This is totally awesome ... your work with the oxides fabtabulous... and the creative city scape over the top !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rea - I'm so glad you like it xx

      Delete
  15. I agree with what everyone else has said! Thank you for showing us the details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much - it was my pleasure - I'm so glad you like it xx

      Delete
  16. This is a stunner Jenny! LOVE it! Exactly the kind of thing I'd be wanting to decorate my new craft room with when it gets built this summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sammy - your craft room sounds wonderful - I'm so glad you like my picture xx

      Delete
  17. Your pieces always have me checking back again and again to catch all the details! I love the way you have layered all of these buildings it really brings you "home" the distress ovides create the perfect feel for the buildings, I could go on and on I love this one so much! You have such a talent and I am so thankful that you share it with us all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ann - I'm so pleased you like it and thank you for enjoying the tutorial xx

      Delete
  18. Replies
    1. Thank you so much Maggie - I'm so pleased you like it xx

      Delete
  19. You know I waited to the end of a very busy day to see this. It was worth the wait and I loved every gorgeous detail. The folded strip to mount the foreground buildings was a stroke of genius. I LOVE the background and the word strips you used. It really is AH-MAZING! Thanks for sharing it with us x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Zoe! I'm so glad it was worth the wait and you like it xx

      Delete
  20. A glorious grungy rainbow cityscape - simply brilliant, Jenny!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Alison - I'm really pleased that you like it xx

      Delete
  21. Jenny,
    This is so cool and beautiful!! I love it!!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Nancy - I'm so pleased that you like it xx

      Delete
  22. Love your creation. Really want to get back to messy crafting again. Inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Spyder - if it gets you back to messy crafting then that makes me so happy xx

      Delete
  23. Just beautiful! Im inspired to buy some Oxide Inks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Denise - you'll have so much fun with these new Oxides xx

      Delete
  24. What a brilliant step by step showing us how you made your incredible piece of art! Thank you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Chris - I'm so glad you like it xx

      Delete
  25. An absolutely awesome creation jenny with the most amazing detail and a wonderful step by step too.
    Thanks so much for sharing.
    Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Fliss - I'm so glad you like it and enjoyed the tutorial xx

      Delete
  26. A beautiful scene! Now I know better how these new inks work... thanks for the step by step.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lys - I'm so glad you enjoyed the tutorial xx

      Delete
  27. Wow! A brilliant step by step - now to s.t.r.e.t.c.h the pension and get these dies off my list!! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Chris - I'm so glad you like it. You'll love using these dies xx

      Delete
  28. Your framed step by step is stunning Jenny! I love every little detail and the colours are fabulous and so very lush! I didn't twig why you had folded the card and popped the foam behind them, that is so clever Jenny, what a fabulous way to add hidden dimension, it's only after reading it again that the penny dropped. Now the Distress Oxides were already at the top of the list and so are those lovely dies now, I just need to sell a kidney lol, thank you for sharing how you created it xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Karen - I'm so glad you like it and enjoyed the tutorial xx

      Delete
  29. WOW!!!! This is Fabulous!!! Every detail is wonderful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Wanda - I'm so glad you like it xx

      Delete
  30. I've been letting this "marinate" in my mind since you posted it. It is beautiful, of course, but it looks nostalgic and futuristic at the same time, at least to me. And the colors! You were really inspired on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Marci - I'm so glad you like it and it inspires you xx

      Delete
  31. This project is so crazy amazing it is ridiculous!!!! Holy crow you knocked it outta the park!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Karen - I'm so glad you like it xx

      Delete
  32. Jenny, you really did a great job keeping the vintage feel to this collage. I love the small amount of color bursts and the great layering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Autumn - those Oxides make the task of keeping it vintage so easy - glad you like it xx

      Delete
  33. This is just fabulous! I was tempted by those dies and wow you just knocked it out of the park!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Suzz! I adore these dies (as you can see) xx

      Delete
  34. Hi Jenny,
    I love this project. May I have your permission to do it as a class for 5 people?

    ReplyDelete
  35. Jenny did you use any color beside Iced Spruce and Vintage Photo on the heavy cardstock for the buildings? It looks like you might have but then that could be the internet! Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete