Thursday, August 31, 2017

Guest Designer - Donna Billek

Please say hello to our Guest Designer for the current challenge, A Little Rusty. Donna Billek from Inkysplatters was the top pick from the 'Christmas in July' challenge. Donna is a loyal supporter of Frilly and Funkie and it is always nice to see her fabulous creations.


I am very happy to usher in Autumn with my guest designer spot on the Frilly & Funkie blog. Thank you to everyone who visited my blog to see my Christmas ornament project and thank you to the design team for choosing me! For this challenge, Autumn, our lovely challenge host, asked us to go A Little Rusty! The challenge was to use rust or to focus on the beautiful colors we see during Autumn. Thank you to Linda for supporting the challenge – it’s always great fun to play along.


While I’ve always been a bit crafty, my entry into the world of distress inks and mixed media has only been within the past couple of years. I live with my handsome husband, our clowder, and a pup in Colorado close to the beautiful Rocky Mountains. Around here Autumn tends to go by rather quickly! We just moved to a new house so between the rust paste, the rusty techniques, and my rustiness I set off to create my first big project in my new craft room (where I still can’t find anything and stuff still hasn’t been completely put away yet….).

Autumn is a lovely time of year and my favorite time of year! It makes me think of all of the rich colors of the season and when I can put away my summer shorts and skirts and go for the more comfy or stylish clothes like leggings, one of my scarfs, and my leather jacket. So for this project I created a hat that is an ode to Autumn with just a hint of Halloween. I had fun creating the hat from scratch and then adding, creating, or distressing all of the bits and bobs for the hat. I love working with the rust paste from Finnabair – it’s just a whole lot of fun! To add a bit of shimmer to it I brushed it with a Wink of Stella Clear Shimmer pen. I hope it inspires you to create something rusty, autumnal, or both!

Here is a close-up view of my hat.


* * *
Pop on over to Donna's blog and check out the details on her fun hat and then come on back and share your creation for our 'A Little Rusty' challenge. You have lots of time because it runs until 11:55 pm EST on September 12th and can be found HERE.

4 comments:

  1. Donna what a beautiful autumn decor you created! Love the rusty detail and the gorgeous embellishments you created! Thank you for guest designing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word Donna! I didn't know you were a hat maker extraordinaire! But you certainly are! This is one amazing and beautifully detailed hat. (I know my buddy Niki of Pawsitively Creative will be delighted!) Well done on your first project in your new space and congrats on the move! I am certainly inspired and will be hoping over to your blog for more details. Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna, what an amazing Autumn hat with a splash of Halloween mixed in! How clever to include the rusty drawer pull--it looks like it's been in my garage for the summer! (That's where everything goes to rust!) Congratulations on your new home and new craft room (I'm green with envy!) and thank you so much for sharing your creativity with us as Guest Designer today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you are getting settled in your new digs. Love what you created for your rusty autumn project. I hopped over to your blog and read all the amazing details. It's wonderful the way you incorporated all your favorit aspects of fall into this project, the zipper, leather paper and all the wonderful colors. Always a thrill to have you as our guest designer. Congrats again on being our Funkie Favorite!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete