Saturday, June 22, 2019

Saturday Showcase - Tim Holtz Idea-ology Transparent Wings

It is Cec here to present the Saturday Showcase this week.  I am sharing a couple of projects I made featuring the Tim Holtz Transparent Wings from his Idea-ology line of products, which can be found at The Funkie Junkie Boutique.


I have made one a little frilly and another a little more funkie but believe me, both were so much fun to create.  First up is the frilly one - a tag I think I will call Wildflower Fairy.


I started with a jumbo manila tag and gave it a coat of White Gesso (Dina Wakley) on both sides.  Then I smooshed the tag through puddles of Antique Linen, Frayed Burlap and Vintage Photo Distress Oxide (Tim Holtz).


Once the tag was dry I gave each side a coat of Clear Gesso (Dina Wakley).  This was followed with Crackled Texture Paste (Wendy Vecchi) through the Crossed stencil (Tim Holtz) - I only added the paste on the side I decided was going to be the front.  Note:  The clear gesso acts as a barrier so the paste will stay white when it dries.  If you don't mind it sucking up some of the colour, the clear gesso can be omitted.


Next I die cut all sorts of wildflowers from the Wildflower Stems #1 and #2 sets (Tim Holtz).  The die cuts were coloured by inking them with a variety of Distress Inks using either a water brush (Tim Holtz) or smooshing them through puddles of colour.  The inks used were: Worn Lipstick, Shaded Lilac, Picked Raspberries, Festive Berries, Wilted Violet, Wild Honey, Spiced Marmalade, Peeled Paint.


Gathered Twigs Distress Ink was used to colour a little picket fence that came in one of the great goodie packages you get with an order from The Funkie Junkie Boutique.  The wildflowers and the fence were added to the tag.


Next I used some Watering Can Archival Ink (Wendy Vecchi) to stamp a couple of bees from the Entomology set (Tim Holtz) and cut them out using the co-ordinating die set - what a time saver.  The bees were coloured with some Wild Honey and Spiced Marmalade DI before they were added to the tag.  I also stamped a lady bug but did not use it in the end because it was too large and looked out of scale.


I coloured the back of some transparent wings with a mixture of Aqua and Purple Twilight Alcohol Ink (Tim Holtz) and then fastened them to the back of a sweet girl from the Paper Dolls (Tim Holtz).

Finally some burlap string and some fuzzy fibre from my stash were combined with a strip of seam binding that was dyed with Gathered Twigs DI to make a topper for the tag.


For my more funkie project I made a canvas I am calling Brave Wings.  I started with a piece of mat board and adhered some corrugated cardboard on top of it.  This gives some stability to the cardboard but still keeps the project light.


I ripped some of the top layer off the cardboard in random areas to expose the corrugation and then smeared Texture Paste thickly over sections to provide rough texture.


I tore a piece of paper from an old book and gave it a light dry brushed coat of White Gesso.


Next I laid the paper loosely on the cardboard and sprayed both with some Antique Linen, Iced Spruce and Gathered Twigs Distress Spray Stain (Tim Holtz) followed by White Linen Spray (Dylusions).


Before I glued it on the cardboard I added some stenciling to the book paper using the Checkmate Stencil (Wendy Vecchi) and Iced Spruce DI as well as the Speckles stencil (Tim Holtz) and Gathered Twigs DI.


The transparent wings were coloured on the back with a mixture of Mushroom, Cloudy Blue and Denim Alcohol Ink (Tim Holtz).  One large pair of wings was added to the back of a ballerina from the Paper Dolls set (Tim Holtz).  Strings of copper seed beads were added to the bodies of the remaining wings before they were added to the canvas.

Finally I created the sentiment on the computer, cut it into segments, inked each word with Gathered Twigs DI and adhered then to the canvas.

These transparent wings are so much fun and very handy to have.  They can be coloured as I did but they also look wonderful just as they are.  The package contains a great variety of sizes so they can be used in all sorts of ways.  You can purchase them at The Funkie Junkie Boutique - a great online store with super pricing and customer service.

Here is a list of supplies with links to The Funkie Junkie Boutique:

Tim Holtz Idea-ology Transparent Wings TH93785
Tim Holtz Sizzix Thinlits Die Set 5PK - Wildflower Stems #1 by Tim Holtz
Tim Holtz Sizzix Thinlits Die Set 5PK - Wildflower Stems #2 by Tim Holtz

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love how you have showcased these beautiful transparent wings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both projects are fabulous Cec x Wonderful details on both ut I do love that wildflower fairy in her gorgeous garden

    TFS
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the little flower garden fairy so much! It's so sweet and fresh and lovely! And I always love your corrugate base canvases. Really great projects, Cec!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cec, I love both of your stunning projects featuring these fun wings! Coloring them with those beautiful shades of alcohol inks is brilliant. Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete